still runnin hot as he**.... wtf?

war_machine92

Banned
so i just put an edelbrock high flow water pump on my car, replaced the thermostat with a fresh 180*,,,,,, all new coolant with some water wetter, adding in the fact that im also running a fluidyne 3 row radiator and a bigass 3,400 cfm fan my car STILL gets up to 210* and stays there,,,, but with the new pump it doesnt do it so quick....... i baby this thing around and it still gets up to temps like that... no bueno,,, any ideas????? im tired of it. i thought this water pump and a new thermostat would be the final deal, but nope.

javierrflores

svt
Established Member
hmm, it may sound dumb but do you still have the black plastic spoiler underneath the car? this draws air into the radiator. my car didnt have it and it would over heat . i also went through almost the same trouble shooting procedure as you , and didnt get any results until i installed it. however i replaced it with the front spoiler from a 88 ranger. it is wider and draws more air into the raidiator.

gl.

vfast

Established Member
did you burp the system? this is why i only use mr gasket high flow stats... you have an air pocket

2013gt5

Established Member
My 93 lx runs the same at 210. It does this when in traffic with the ac on in the summer. When its cold out It will barely reach 160. It has been like this since I bought it. It has edlebrock aluminum heads, Edel. Intake, electric fan, aluminum rad, and I think its currently got a 160* thermostat in it. Before I put the heads on it had no thermostat and would run at 220*. The stock thermo is 180 so runnind 195-200 should be normal correct?

war_machine92

Banned
hmm, it may sound dumb but do you still have the black plastic spoiler underneath the car? this draws air into the radiator. my car didnt have it and it would over heat . i also went through almost the same trouble shooting procedure as you , and didnt get any results until i installed it. however i replaced it with the front spoiler from a 88 ranger. it is wider and draws more air into the raidiator.

gl.

damn good idea, I will definitely pick one up

war_machine92

Banned
My 93 lx runs the same at 210. It does this when in traffic with the ac on in the summer. When its cold out It will barely reach 160. It has been like this since I bought it. It has edlebrock aluminum heads, Edel. Intake, electric fan, aluminum rad, and I think its currently got a 160* thermostat in it. Before I put the heads on it had no thermostat and would run at 220*. The stock thermo is 180 so runnind 195-200 should be normal correct?

I have no AC, Lol. I have my fan set to 180* and with it bein a 3400 CFM fan that covers the whole radiator with a shroud that is made for makin it do it's job but nothin ever works with this thing. 195 would be normal, wouldn't have a prôblem with that but 210 consistently, yikes.

jfsram

Established Member
Do you run an overflow resorvoir?
Is it ever not at 210. Like idling, driving slow or highway, cold night?

vfast

Established Member
the air damn helps but with that 3 row rad it should be running cooler....i take it your running an electric fan? what temp is it set to come on? I run a stock fan with a heavy duty clutch..what is time set at? fuel pressure? are you using an FMU?
i run close to what you got my cam is larger and run 15 psi and mine stays cool

war_machine92

Banned
the air damn helps but with that 3 row rad it should be running cooler....i take it your running an electric fan? what temp is it set to come on? I run a stock fan with a heavy duty clutch..what is time set at? fuel pressure? are you using an FMU?
i run close to what you got my cam is larger and run 15 psi and mine stays cool

yep, runnin a black magic 3,400 CFM fan, full shroud, set to come on at 160 just because of Texas heat, stays on most the time. timing is at 14* for the most part conservative with fuel set at 40 lbs idle, bout 55 ish with 12 lbs of boost.

war_machine92

Banned
Do you run an overflow resorvoir?
Is it ever not at 210. Like idling, driving slow or highway, cold night?

it always cools back down pretty quick to about 185 once I idle it to a stop or sit at a light, but highway speeds say 65-70 mph it'll stay there at 210 after its been runnin for a bit. on cooler
days/nights though it don't get up that quick, but still. and yep I'm still runnin the stock overflow

vfast

Established Member
try raising the fan stat to 180 and see what happens,,you might have to fo back to a stock fan that's what i use on my s/c fox..i also run 10 degrees of timing..bump it back a few degrees

02Roush

Established Member
also if you have a 180 thermostat (trust me on this I'm not joking "actually trying to help you out") change it out with a 195. When I had the 180 in my car my temps would spike well above 210..... I put a 195 in it (tore out the little plug like thing so there was a small little hole) and now my car stays at exactly 195-200 and never gets any higher than that with air conditioning on and 92 degree weather.

shalliday

Established Member
yep, runnin a black magic 3,400 CFM fan, full shroud, set to come on at 160 just because of Texas heat, stays on most the time. timing is at 14* for the most part conservative with fuel set at 40 lbs idle, bout 55 ish with 12 lbs of boost.
Having similar overheating problems with my 1989 5.0L. Also running the Black Magic 3,400 CFM fan and full shroud along with an Edelbrock High Flow water pump. Tried switching 160 degree thermostat to a 180 but did not fix the problem. Very frustrating issue to trouble shoot and not sure what to try next. After reading this thread, i am thinking it might be an issue related to the Black Magic fan setup.

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Mine has been ok with the Black Magic fan so far. I too have a 180* thermostat, but I'm just a 331, no boost. I have a Mishimoto Radiator, and a stock water pump. I do notice some temp flux, but I rarely see a spike above 200 before it drops back down to the 180 range at cruise. And unlike the OP, mine gets hot while sitting, and rapidly cools off once I get moving.

Are you guys sure your systems are flowing properly? Even though you have a highflow W/P, maybe you are just running high pressure, and not much extra flow due to some kind of restriction present in your block, head, or maybe the head gasket....which gaskets did you guys use? I'm wondering if maybe one or two of the water jackets is partially obstructed.

LtDavis

Established Member
I know I'm late to this thread but my car has the same problem and I also run the Black Magic Extreme fan. At highway speeds its runs way hotter than it should (I have a Motorcraft 180 t-stat) but at slower speeds and even sitting in traffic it will drop to almost 180, sometimes lower. I have the fan set to come on at 160.

It did this even with a Fluidyne radiator and a bottle of that Redline Water Wetter but I since had to replace the Fluidyne with a stocker since it succumbed to electrolysis and started leaking. Interesting though that the car doesn't run any hotter with the stock rad back in...

wheelhopper

Established Member
Try installing a larger pulley on the water pump. It slows the flow of coolant and will allow it to cool more in the radiator. I know it sounds funny but if your coolant is flowing real fast it simply does not spend much time in the radiator.

Users who are viewing this thread