Still having trouble

CanuckCobra

Established Member
I posted a while a go about losing power above 5k rpm..I am still losing power at higher rpm or I could say under load sometimes as low as 3500 rpm..it doesn't miss or cut out and buck..just falls flat on it's face..it' trying to go but it wont.It runs normal and smooth from Idle to 3000 rpm.

I've put in new plugs and changed the fuel filter. I'm out of ideas,my gut says it's some kind of fuel issue...

The car is stock except for Borla Cat back. I have a JLT RAI waiting to go on once this problem is fixed..

i guess I should take it in to the dealership and have a tech look at it..just wondered if any of you guys have had a similar problem or any advice.

thanks

Morgan

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
what did you gap the plugs at?
whats your fuel pressure when this happens?
blow any smoke?
cats clogged?
hows your gas mileage?

CanuckCobra

Established Member
Put the plugs in this morning..NGK TR55 platinum gapped.054 old plugs were shot..so I had hoped that was the problem.

Fuel Pressure..sorry no gauge

Mileage seems kinda lousy..haven't kept track..also been enjoying the sound of the borlas..and yes the problem was there before that.

how can I tell if the cats are clogged? never heard of that before.

Quadcammer

Established Member
if its not throwing any codes, you might be ok with the cats, and you might not be. kind of hard to tell without pulling the h.

if you can check fuel pressure somehow that might tell you a lot. if it falls at higher rpm, the fuel pump may be on its way out.

CanuckCobra

Established Member
quadcammer said:
if its not throwing any codes, you might be ok with the cats, and you might not be. kind of hard to tell without pulling the h.

if you can check fuel pressure somehow that might tell you a lot. if it falls at higher rpm, the fuel pump may be on its way out.

thanks for your ideas..i tend to think it's starving for fuel. Pump is my bet as well..wonder what that will cost..any point in upgrading it? I have no plans for any kind of Power adder.

Quadcammer

Established Member
not really. they do pretty good for stock cars. Shouldn't be more then 150 bux, if that.

Quadcammer

Established Member
um, not too difficult, but kind of awkward.

tank is only like 40lbs.

put it on ramps or jack stands
disconnect all the vac lines, electric connector and the fuel line
i loosened up the filler neck from the car, but its not required if you have a lot of room to work.
undo the tank straps and lower it down, and angle out the filler neck.

once its down, there are like 8 bolts and an electrical connector. remove all that pull the bucket out, and place the new one in.

reassemble and reinstall, making sure to lube grommet on tank and filler neck.

should take about 2 to 3 hours the first time.

get a buddy to help

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Yeah don't have a lot of gas in the tank. Gas weighs like 7 or 8 pounds a gallon.

Nothing sucked soo bad as changing one on the side of a road on an F150 with a 32 gallon tank on full. Oh what a PITA.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread