Still having timming chain noise issues

98mdsnake

Established Member
Is there anyone in MACA thats knowlegable about the 4.6L 32v's that I can meet up with that can just drive my car while the engine is cold to help me diagnose my problem. As some of you know I replaced two of the tensioners a couple of weeks ago. Before the new tensioners the chain was making some noise when the engine was warm. Now with the new tensioners in place it makes the same noise only when the engine is cold. My friend that helped with the work said he thought the guides looked ok. I am wondering if the other two tensioners need to be replaced or just the guides. Here is pic of a 32v motor and I have circled in yellow the tensioners I replaced.

If someone wants to help me I can drive to where ever it is you live.

DSC01750-1.jpg

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
I had problem with mine for the longest time. In my case.. the Chain itself was stretched and the guides were worn. Mine however made the "tapping" sound all the time between 2K-2500 rpms.. I realize that may not be useful info.. but just double check that chain if you pull her out again.

98mdsnake

Established Member
So its most likley the guides making noise still? Or the other two tensioners that are behinde the sprockets?

98mdsnake

Established Member
I had problem with mine for the longest time. In my case.. the Chain itself was stretched and the guides were worn. Mine however made the "tapping" sound all the time between 2K-2500 rpms.. I realize that may not be useful info.. but just double check that chain if you pull her out again.

Well i was wondering about the chains. When I first got the car I was trying to learn where the power droped off and was running the RPM's up to 7,000 at the track. I am wondering if that stretched the chain?

Users who are viewing this thread