Still has a slight miss. Catalytic converter maybe?

Allan Byrd

Established Member
I am sure this has been discussed, but I was unable to find a definite answer to my question. Long story short I have had a problem with a slight miss. The first time this occured, it threw a code that turned out to be "misfire in #1 cylinder. I changed the plugs, gapped them to .035 as suggested. Cleared the code. It seem to be better but still had a slight miss, but this time no engine light. I can smell the catalytic converter every once in a while. So I am assuming this might be the problem. I am going to ha e the catalytic converters removed but I have a cojple of questions. The car is a 2012 and totally stock. Has just a little over 9k on it. What exhaust can I get, after I remove the converters, that will keep it some where around the sound of the stock exhaust? I do like the sound of the car as it is now. I don't mind it getting a little louder. But would prefer not much. Also who is the best person to write a tune for it after the catalytic converters are removed. I am assuming it will through some codes. Thanks in advance for any info and advice.

SHLBYLVR

Established Member
Take it to the dealership and have them fix it for free. Find out what is causing the miss first, before you replace the cats. If the cats are bad, have Ford replace them and then you can get off-road pipes later. This way if you for any reason return back to stock, you have good cats. Just a thought.

Allan Byrd

Established Member
I was thinking since I knew I was going to do a cat delete anyway, I would try this and see if it cured the miss I was having. But that is actually a great idea. I just hate sending my car to a dealership. Guess I have some trust issues lol. Thanks for the advice.

Poppacapp

Established Member
Let the dealer fix the issue under warranty. Especially if it turns out to be something other than the cats.

Allan Byrd

Established Member
Yup, looks like that is what will happen now. Not my idea. But gotta admit it was a good one, so I will run with it. I am headed to work for 4 weeks anyway. Surely they can work this out within a 4 week period.

Allan Byrd

Established Member
All being said. My wife works in the accounting department and the local for place, so she will take the car in and have it looked at while I am at work. But I am still interested in doing a cat delete, as long as there is no power loss after removing them. What exhaust would you guys recommend to be able to keep the car sounding pretty much like stock?

Poppacapp

Established Member
All being said. My wife works in the accounting department and the local for place, so she will take the car in and have it looked at while I am at work. But I am still interested in doing a cat delete, as long as there is no power loss after removing them. What exhaust would you guys recommend to be able to keep the car sounding pretty much like stock?

If you delete the cats.. it will be louder no matter what. You could put some resonators before the axleback to quiet it down some. I would recommend staying with the OEM axleback exhaust if you delete the cats. Here is a video I made of my 2012 with full stock exhaust... only thing I did was gut the cats out myself. Is your car completely stock also? If you have the factory tune, and go offroad, you will get a check engine light from the rear o2 sensors. You need to disable these in a tune. Problem with a tune is it COULD void your warranty most likely.. so you need to factor this into your decision.

[youtube_browser]GYY5ARSOjJU[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

Allan Byrd

Established Member
Sounds good, but just as I thought. A little louder than what I want. But it does sound aggressive. Thanks for the info, but I believe considering everything I will stick with the cats for a while longer. I could probably get by with the warranty, but I can see it will begin a battle with me trying to get it back a little more quite.

Users who are viewing this thread