Still Confused about Tires & Wheels

Chargedvenom

Established Member
I have read most of all the posts about wheels and tire combos. Now my head is just spining. I just got some new AFS Chromes 18x9 & 18x10.5 for $750.00 shipped on ebay. (I think I got a good deal)

Anyway, I have seen pics of 18" tires that have less overall tire height than stock17's Which to me make the car look "not right" Here's my question will Nitto 315 DR fit on the rear without modification. And where is the best place to get them. If they won't fit I'll go with 305's unless they won't fit either. I just want a tire that will fill the wheel well and not stick out the sides. When the pics were still up that helped but they're all gone now.

I know this subject has been talked about over and over which is why I just don't know which way is up anymore. I just need some help to figure this out and be done with it. If there is another tire out there that will work better I am all ears.

redsvt

Banned
They do not make a Nitto in 315X18 drag radial. the only available 18 is a 305/45/18 which is used on Lightnings and has a very tall sidewall. I put a set of 285/35/18 on my Y2K Cobra R on my 03 and it looks good not to much sidewall and just the right width.

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Although I decided to stick with 17x9s, and just purchased a new set of bullitt chromies, I had considered 10.5 wide rears. From what I have gathered, the 18x10.5s don't have the same clearance problems that the 17x10.5s have. However, the cost of 18 inch tires is quite a bit more, and I have heard the handling is not quite as good as with the 17s. If you go with 17x10.5s you either have to make some modifications or go with spacer/adapters. The best appear to be H&R 1" adapters. These adapters should work fine with your 18x10.5 should you have clearance problems. I saw pics of a guy that had Goodyear 315s and the adapters. Very big without sticking too far out. In fact, they were just inside the wheel well. Look for Torch Red around here. He has pics to look at. Also, the Nitto 315s are supposedly narrower than the Goodyear 315s.

03'Darin

Established Member
The Nitto 315's are definately narrower than the Goodyears. I have a customer that did the AFS 17X10.5's and Nitto 315's with no mods or spacers. His tires hit the IRS bolt but only when the car is jacked up. My Goodyear 315 GS-D3's on the same rims hit the bolt even with 3/8" spacers and the bolt shaved when it is jacked up.

Check this thread for some 17" info.. The 18's will give you alot less fitment problems than the 17's. The extra rim diameter of the 18's help get the tire away from the IRS bolt and bracket.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63085

Darin

Chargedvenom

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies, keep them coming.

Sambandit, your car DOES look great, and thanks for the pics.

Maybe this might make it a little easier, what tires won't work? I know the same size tire from 2 different manufacturers are physically different. So how about the BFG g-force?

missile man

Established Member
Thanks SAMBANDIT. I think you just helped me make up my mind on my Christmas present. I just have to sell the stock rims and tires.

Mystichrome

Spoiler Delete
Established Member
what are undy spacers and where can I get them. Are the afs wheels the same as the cobras if I put the 10.5 's on the back will they match my fronts

Users who are viewing this thread