Still can't color match PP wheels?

michaeljtrent

Established Member
Woke up this morning to discover my front passenger wheel paint is peeling right in the center of one of the spokes. Looks like a rock chip or something is to blame, but it's about the size of a dime at the moment.

Is Helios still the only company around that can match this color/process exactly? I've read through multiple posts of people trying to match the wheels with no success and mine are of the "darker" variety so I'd hate to have someone try it and totally screw the wheel up.

My other though was to just get the whole set powder coated but I really hate to refinish 3 undamaged wheels.

Any new developments on this front?

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I've loosely tracked this issue since it was first reported. The bad news is, AFAIK, there's no change. The good news is another member recently had good luck in getting his wheels refinished by Helios. (Details in the linked thread.)

Good luck, and please keep us posted!

Snoopy49

Established Member
Even if you can get Helios to refinish your wheel, it may not match the other wheels. Even if you bought a new replacement wheel from Ford , it may not match. I went through this on mine and I ended up buying a used set of wheels. If I had it to do over, I would have had all the wheels powder coated. At least you would be able to repair just one wheel in the future, if the need arises.

michaeljtrent

Established Member
I read through your entire post Snoopy and had my fingers crossed that something had changed since then. I figured it probably didn't. I just got a new set of P-Zero's to put on, so I may end up doing the powder coat while i have them off. Really sucks to re-finish 3 undamaged wheels, but I agree that it likely isn't going to match if I just get the one wheel repaired.

michaeljtrent

Established Member
Thanks Larry,

I will check them out.

Edit: Couldn't help but laugh. The guy for "south" (really central) MS, Bob Harveston, I went to high school with. He has been painting vehicles since I can even remember. Had NO idea he did wheels. Guess I should give him a call.

Last edited:

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If I had it to do over, I would have had all the wheels powder coated. At least you would be able to repair just one wheel in the future, if the need arises.
This is what I did. I bought a couple of used wheels to have widened. One wheel had been refinished. When I went to a place that repairs wheels, they suggested powder coating all of my wheels so they all looked the same and would had a more durable finish. They're a little glossier than the factory finish, but I like them better.

smurfbrakes_zps55e61e85.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread