stiff clutch fix

auyon

svt freak
Established Member
I bought and installed a clutch quadrant from UPR and it did as advertised. 20% less pedal effort. while the clutch is still heavy it is now bareable. you don't get out of the car with a stiff leg!

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
The clutch kit from Ford also improves it a bit.

When the transmission was replaced in mine they did the clutch and flywheel as well, and there was noticebly less effort after the new one.

03_Snake

Established Member
Does the quadrant also give you the ability to change where in the pedal travel the clutch engages? If not, what product does this?

Also, what is the purpose of the UPR firewall adjustor with jam nut?

Anyone?

Thanks in advance....

auyon

svt freak
Established Member
Thats what the firewall adjuster does. you can adjust your clutch were ever you want it.

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
How hard is it to install? I have had my UPR firewall adj. and UPR quardrant since 11-14-02. I need to install them.

auyon

svt freak
Established Member
I pretty easy. its harder to pull out your old one. you need a jack to let your clutch cable loose by the tranny. probably 1 to 2 hours work.

2xlr8

Established Member
Calgary, Canada - summer is too short here!
Lame question time...

In your opinion does the firewall adj. and UPR quadrant give you a significantly better feel for the shifting point and/or reduce the pedal effort? (Is it worth the time and effort?)

Thanks for humoring the noob.

SVTyballz

Established Member
GOOD ADVICE TIME!!!!

you don't have to jack up your car. you don't have to remove the cable from the clutch fork. Crawl under your dash and pull the pins from the ends of the shafts that the factory quadrant is mounted on. Slide the quadrant off and you will have enough slack to unhook the cable. pop those springs off and pull the factory "garbage" off. The small piece closest to the firewall is kinda a pain. once all the pieces are off the shafts go under the hood and remove the clutch cable away from the firewall (save the screws). you are going to have to cut through that plastic/metal piece to get it off (i used a hacksaw) of the cable. when you mount the adjuster on the firewall, use one of the screws and the factory hole. Insert the adjuster with it all the way screwed in (to allow enough slack to re-attach the cable to the new quadrant) After everything is back on, back the adjuster out until the clutch is to your liking. I did this whole thing in aobut 30 minutes. It is easier than the instructions indicate.

gary

03cobra#116

Established Member
Is there any more information on the Ford fix? Is it something my dealer can install?

I would really like to soften the clutch.

POISNUS

Established Member
As far as the firewall adjuster and quandrant being worth it? I say hell yes. I had an 88GT that I blew two T-5z's with and I couldn't figure it out. I thought I was a really bad driver (bad timing on shifts) until I drove a bunch of other mustangs. I could row gears with the best of them except in my car. I also had others drive my car and they felt they could not shift it efficiently also.

It turns out the rubber grommet that buts up to the firewall was wearing out due to the high pedal effort of the FMS HD clutch. This grommet wearing out and giving poor clutch feel was never fully disengaging the clutch. I put the aforementioned components on and cured it all and I never broke a trans again.

BTW, all other components were brand new (bell housing, clutch fork, cable) so that was the problem. This mod is well worth the money.

Jason

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03cobra#116
Is there any more information on the Ford fix? Is it something my dealer can install?

I would really like to soften the clutch.

It's not really a "fix". I got my clutch replaced under warranty and a few others got new transmissions under warranty along with new clutches. The "fix" is in the form of a redesigned pressureplate. Apparently the spring rate was changed, why only Ford knows. It's not something a dealer can really look up either. The clutch assy comes as a kit but can ordered in pieces. Any new orders will get you the new one.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Exactly. Perhaps if you call your dealer and tell them that your clutch is too stiff and you'd like them to order and install the replacement.

I would start with that first.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
My cars cursed then because after adding the UPR quadrant, adjuster and cable, the clutch is stiffer! UGH!! I hate it now for traffic. Granted the shifts are perfect since I can adjust the clutch gap and no longer grind the gears as a result but it is stiffer. Can' figure that one out.. makes no sense. I heard the SPEC Stage 2 was easier pedal effort so when my clutch goes that is what I'll upgrade to..

Jerry

GordsFord

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
I can't understand anyone thinking the 03 Cobra stock clutches are too stiff!! To me it seems quite easy, or soft. Obviously you haven't driven an older Mustang with a high capacity 3000 lb. "Long style" clutch. they were stiff!

My only complaint with the clutch is the adjustment is a way too close to the floor. I bought a Steeda quick ratio clutch quadrant and adjustable cable setup but haven't installed it yet.

Gord

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by GordsFord
I can't understand anyone thinking the 03 Cobra stock clutches are too stiff!!

It is stiff. But I know what you're saying. I'm pretty much used to a stiff clutch from previous Mustangs.

But if I go drive my dad's Saab 9-5, that clutch is like it's not even there. Of course, the engine feels the same way copmpared to the Cobra. :D

03cobra#116

Established Member
Originally posted by GordsFord
I can't understand anyone thinking the 03 Cobra stock clutches are too stiff!! To me it seems quite easy, or soft. Obviously you haven't driven an older Mustang with a high capacity 3000 lb. "Long style" clutch. they were stiff!

My only complaint with the clutch is the adjustment is a way too close to the floor. I bought a Steeda quick ratio clutch quadrant and adjustable cable setup but haven't installed it yet.

Gord

My 2003 Cobra clutch is far stiffer than my 1990 5L, on which I put 150k miles in Atlanta traffic before my daughter totalled it.

Users who are viewing this thread