Stieg Stage 4 = lots of fun

jakhammer

Established Member
So I finally got off my arse and tore down the L. Sent the Eaton to Stieg for a Stage 4 port. While down I cleaned the IC which had never been touched. 46k miles of teflon and oil, yum. 6 24oz cans of carb clean did not even clean it all out. Had to throw it in the tub and use alky, then dawn dish soap and hot water. Flushed for 30 minutes to ge all the teflon out. When I started I could not see through the IC, when done, no problem.

Put it all back together and put in my new tune from Sal. Took it out and did some easy datalogging test to verifiy longer injector PW, O2 reading rich, timing, etc. Everything was good so I took it back home.

2 days later I took it out for a rip. WOW! It runs so much better. Actually, it runs much stronger. 1st gear traction is a joke. It rips the tires loose and just hits second with anything more than half throttle from a dead stop. Put it to the rug from a dead stop and it just spins up to 5500rpm and hits second, smoke billowing, and never misses a beat (I let off after a few seconds). It has not done that since I put on the Hankooks and traction bars.

As for speed testing, I did a 50mph kick down and a 60mph kickdown to 80. The 50mph kickdown scared me ad I let right back off. Felt and sounded like the tires were searching for traction. Dunno for sure, but thats not the speed I want to be fighting to keep it straight. 60-80 was a blast. it was a very short run.

All in all, money VERY well spent. I am trying to set up dyno time right now and track times will come next month.

Chris

Chi3f

Established Member
i just put my stage 4 on yesterday. i think it's got a lil more power but i'm not possitive. we'll see when i hit the drags.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
there were some issues with the stage 4 ports depending when it was done. do a search in this forum there were some guys who were losing a fair bit of torque. doesnt sound like youve got that problem though.. good deal.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
jakhammer said:
So I finally got off my arse and tore down the L. Sent the Eaton to Stieg for a Stage 4 port. While down I cleaned the IC which had never been touched. 46k miles of teflon and oil, yum. 6 24oz cans of carb clean did not even clean it all out. Had to throw it in the tub and use alky, then dawn dish soap and hot water. Flushed for 30 minutes to ge all the teflon out. When I started I could not see through the IC, when done, no problem.

Put it all back together and put in my new tune from Sal. Took it out and did some easy datalogging test to verifiy longer injector PW, O2 reading rich, timing, etc. Everything was good so I took it back home.

2 days later I took it out for a rip. WOW! It runs so much better. Actually, it runs much stronger. 1st gear traction is a joke. It rips the tires loose and just hits second with anything more than half throttle from a dead stop. Put it to the rug from a dead stop and it just spins up to 5500rpm and hits second, smoke billowing, and never misses a beat (I let off after a few seconds). It has not done that since I put on the Hankooks and traction bars.

As for speed testing, I did a 50mph kick down and a 60mph kickdown to 80. The 50mph kickdown scared me ad I let right back off. Felt and sounded like the tires were searching for traction. Dunno for sure, but thats not the speed I want to be fighting to keep it straight. 60-80 was a blast. it was a very short run.

All in all, money VERY well spent. I am trying to set up dyno time right now and track times will come next month.

Chris

Mine gets sideways on a 50mph kickdown. :poke:

TORQUERULES

Established Member
bmfgsxr said:
there were some issues with the stage 4 ports depending when it was done. do a search in this forum there were some guys who were losing a fair bit of torque. doesnt sound like youve got that problem though.. good deal.

See above. I hope he didn't lose any torque. Or maybe I am lucky to have a very torquey L.

jakhammer

Established Member
i didnt loose any (or dont feel like it). like I said, its feeling like it is stronger than ever, wont know till i hit up a dyno though.

BlownChevy

Established Member
Let me get something straight......

1) You removed the supercharger and sent it out.
2) Cleaned the intercooler out (stated you could not see through it)
3) Got supercharger back and installed on truck
4) Truck feels like it makes more power

Now let me sum it up the way I see it:

You cleaned the intercooler and now it is flowing more air......Its hard to say without doing a back to back test with the intercooler in the original condition. Congrats on the install, hope to see some dyno/track numbers soon.

thnder

Established Member
Well boys! Hummmm the infamous Stage 4 of recent posts. The ones produced by Stieg from 2/1/06-4/1/06. I guess I should know and chime in here. I just installed mine yesterday and I can tell you this.
When I mash the pedal my boost goes immediately to 10 then progressively climbs to an area in the black never seen before! And I certainly am aware of where it was before the port. With my configuration (Stage 2 heads 6 lb lower) I'm most certain it's gained a minimum of 2 lbs from where it was.
My dyno isn't scheduled until the first of May so we'll see the tell tale before and after at that time.
But so far so good! Everything seems fine to me.

jakhammer

Established Member
ok, here is another test i just did:
new paved road as of last fall (50 or so degrees outside), could only squeak the tires maybe 10 feet. torque redux on
today (80 dgrees outside), after driving 30 miles, same road (approx 7 months since paved), stop, mashed it to the floor, all the way trhough first, half way through second WITH torque redux ON. good enough to leave smoke behind.

analysis: it was warmer today than last fall. both runs were done after some driving so heat soak is a factor. however, it was a zero-stop spining test so IAT2 temps are not to big of a deal, but flow can be considered. both had torque redux on so thats a no brainer. My opinion is that the only thing cleaning the IC changed in a run like this was flow, not temps as it was such a short run. Since it was infact 30 or so degrees hotter today, that should make it performe even worse than last fall, but on can argue flow numbers.

There is a real world test, whether it be the IC cleaning or the port or both, it runs much better. and since dynos are not perfect, the only way to tell is to take it to the track. I highly expect 12.3x with ET streets this year. I would say if I can shave .4 or .5 seconds off and gain 3-4mph, then its more than just the IC. But to tell the truth, there is no for sure way to tell if cleaning the ic is whats doing it other than drive it hard for 10k miles (let the ic get built back up with oil) and see if it still runs hard or is back to no tire spin land. Thats not going to happen.

was that enough mindless rambling cuz it felt like it

Cichlids

I8ASRT10
Established Member
This is a big debate for me to get my blower ported because there have been people who claim to have lost torque but gained hp :shrug:

203Cree

Established Member
You said you had Sal do a reflash for ya. Are you sure the TQ reduction is still turned on, because it was my understanding that that was one of the things he always does along with adjusting shift points. I could be wrong, but I know he turned mine off.

jakhammer

Established Member
i had him leave it on. all my tunes have it on from sal. i figure if i want it off, i can unplug the solenoid or tune it off with my pred. I do it for trans reliabilty. I ran my best time at the track with it on. lol, forgot all about it that night.

jakhammer

Established Member
i understand this is a big issue, thats why I am trying to give all the info I have. I plan on doing some tests with the torque redux off to see if it does anything different. But like thnder, my boost gauge goes even farther into the black than it did before, unlike thnder, mine does it right now (have not done any open raod super high speed stuff to verfiy it will still do it up top).

Chris
ps, I am not one to make excuses for no power mods. I did buy a TB after all knowing what it was good for.

jakhammer

Established Member
one last thing before i head to work, if it dont make any power on the dyno, it will go back. Im not skeeerd to rip it off again.

Users who are viewing this thread