Sticky shifter

SpookSVT

Established Member
Whenever I go WOT and go for a fast shift to 2nd I end up getting hung up on something that causes me to miss or grind severely. Every other gear shifts smooth but I can't get it into 2nd. I've noticed it is only under heavier load (ie. more than 1/4 throttle), under that it shifts smoothly. I've had two other people drive it and they had the same problem. Sitting with the car off there is no issue. I'm using Mobil 1 ATF, I am a little overdue for a change but could this be the problem? I'll be changing it this weekend hopefully.

I checked the linkage and it doesn't appear to be hung up on anything. Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on what else it could be? Makes me mad I just spent all this money on it and I'm grinding the hell out of the dog teeth.

Y2KSVT

Established Member
What shifter are you using?

Just because the shift linkage isn't hung-up on anything, it doesn't mean that it doesn't need adjusting. I'm having the same problem with 2nd and 4th, where it feels like it's in gear, but upon release of the clutch, I get a grind. I also don't have reverse lights. I don't think the reverse switch is being triggered because of this as well.

Mark

SpookSVT

Established Member
Y2KSVT said:
What shifter are you using?

Just because the shift linkage isn't hung-up on anything, it doesn't mean that it doesn't need adjusting. I'm having the same problem with 2nd and 4th, where it feels like it's in gear, but upon release of the clutch, I get a grind. I also don't have reverse lights. I don't think the reverse switch is being triggered because of this as well.

Mark

I have the B&M shifter.

I have the same problem with it not fully engaging in 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes 4th. What do I need to adjust and what do I do to adjust it?

Y2KSVT

Established Member
You'll need to adjust the shift cable on the tranny end. I believe there is an orange clip that needs to be removed, so you can adjust the cable. It's probably easier if you have someone else in the car, making sure the shifter is lined up correctly after you make the adjustment. I believe someone has pictures on CEG of what needs to be done. It would probably be on the old forum.

Mark

SpookSVT

Established Member
Y2KSVT said:
You'll need to adjust the shift cable on the tranny end. I believe there is an orange clip that needs to be removed, so you can adjust the cable. It's probably easier if you have someone else in the car, making sure the shifter is lined up correctly after you make the adjustment. I believe someone has pictures on CEG of what needs to be done. It would probably be on the old forum.

Mark

I pulled the shift boot today and found the problem. The grease in the shifter ball had worked its way out so there was metal to metal contact between the ball and socket. I found a good bit of metal shavings all around, so I cleaned them up and the ball as good as I could without taking it out, then packed it full of white lithium grease. Took it out for a spin and banged some gears and it is so much smoother now. It's still a little sticky at times but it will be until all the metal shavings work themselves out. Try that out Y2K.

G Jiggy

CSVT #518
Established Member
Sticky Shifter and ATF

As an aside to your sticky shifter. You mentioned that you are using ATF. Ford, quite a few years ago, stopped recommending ATF in the Contour MTX trans. They have a lube they sell that is (I've heard) pretty pricey. Like $20 a quart or something like that. I e-mailed Redline and asked them and they recommended their MTL product. I changed my Redline synthetic ATF to the MTL and there is quite a difference. Nicer shifting when the trans is warm but not any better when cold. I had a problem with a balky shift to second on occasion and that isn't a problem now. I also think that the MTL has better "shock" value than ATF as ATF really doesn't deal with gear faces as well as something formulated for that.

I also have a Ford trans fluid chart around here somewhere that shows what should now be in the MTX75 trans and it isn't ATF. It's Ford part number XT-M5-QS (quarts).

A buddy of mine has a Focus that had a balky shift to second and I harrangued him into a fill of MTL. It cured that for him

If you are banging shifts, I'd think about using something other than ATF.

Last edited:

SpookSVT

Established Member
Shifter was stocky again today so I pulled the boot again. I saw this time that there is a pastic bushing that the shifter ball moves in so that ruled out the metal shavings coming form there. The metal shavings were coming from the aluminum chunk on the shifter that hits the stop for reverse which is steel. From not pulling up on the latch for reverse and knowing that aluminum is softer than steel, it just shaved off the aluminum block on the shifter and the shavings went into the shifter ball & socket.

I know I said the sticking was only on WOT runs but it started doing it during regular driving as well. So if you have a B&M and it's sticky and you have the habit of not using the reverse latch that is most likely your problem.

Users who are viewing this thread