Sticky Door Moldings?

red95gts

Established Member
My teal 93 has an issue with the door moldings on both sides. I'm referring to the molding shown in this picture I borrowed from 50resto:

LRS-20939B.jpg

About a year ago, I noticed that that molding was very tacky and had little bits of fuzz from the car cover and the wash mitt stuck in it. I got some "Goo Gone" and some shop towels and went to town. It easily took all the tackiness away. I polished and waxed it and it looked great. For a little while, that is.

A few months later, the tackiness is back. My theory is that the clear coat is gone and the tackiness is the adhesive "weeping" it's way through the pores in the molding. The hard plastic moldings at either end of this piece look fantastic - it's just the rubber piece on the door that has this problem. The car very rarely is driven, so it's definitely not picking the stickiness up off the road.

Has anyone seen this? What are my options? Other than the tackiness, the moldings are in perfect shape and are the originals. I'd just assume not replace or repaint, but that may be what has to be done...

Thanks in advance

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
I have seen it a bunch on Texas cars that sit in the heat. I never have figured out what causes it though.... kind of like a steering wheel will do in the heat when the doors&windows are left closed.

rw93cobra

Established Member
My teal car had the same problem. My car sat outside 3 years from the previous owner and had some fading so I just got the car painted and replaced the moldings but I've always wondered why they got sticky. The body shop really didn't know why it happened either.

fivestangs

Established Member
Mine does it too (BTW, it's black on black). Car used to sit outside, but it's been living under a carport or garage for the last 10 years or so, and it's not like I'm driving the wheels off it either....I'd be interested in a 'solution' (that doesn't involve totally repainting them) also.

red95gts

Established Member
Thanks Guys. I wonder if having them cleaned up and re-clearcoated would fix the problem? Of course, if it didn't and it started to bubble the clear, then I'm in a worse position than I am now.

I guess the other option would be to pick up some NOS paint-to-match moldings and have those sprayed. Then my concern would be matching the 16 y/o paint.

At least I know I'm not alone. :)

Blaine@PSI

Established Member
nope Darrell my car is starting to tack up as well. not as much as you describe but there is a noticable difference when i wipe it down for a car show and the micro fiber towel will stick to it. I plan to have them wet sanded and re clear as to not have to try and match factory 16yo paint. I let you know what my car says and if it comes out good or not.

Cobra228

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
My drivers side molding has been like that for a few years. I have had painters look at it and they all tell me its best to purchase a new one, have it painted then installed. It would require too much prep work to use the existing one. If i remember correctly from removing the one on my mom's 85 GT the moldings have medal in them and will bend if you try and remove it to paint. I think you can get OEM moldings for around 60 bucks from ford.

red95gts

Established Member
Thanks guys. I haven't checked Ford directly, but most of the NOS re-sellers want $140-$170 each for the unpainted moldings. Add in the cost to paint and it certainly won't be a low-buck repair.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
too bad you could not find someone with a set of NOS moldings that were already the correct color. Ford use to sell them in the correct factory colors. I always intended to buy a set in each of the 93 Cobra colors but waited too long and they went to paint to match... which at the time meant you got what ever factory color they decided to send you.

red95gts

Established Member
Yeah, that would be the best way to do it. I've got the Ford part numbers for them and have done a bunch of digging online to try and find them with not much luck. I did find one place that had the LH side only, but that's not worth much without a matching RH piece.

I'll keep my eyes peeled, but I have a feeling I could look forever and never find a set of NOS Teal moldings. Any suggestions on places to find NOS Ford parts besides ebay?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread