Sticking idle

ChromeSnake98

Established Member
Hey guys, just kinda wanna pick some brains. I'm sure ill figure it out being a mechanic and all (lol) just kinda seeing if anyone's had similar issues. Anyways noticed the ol hot rods idle kinda sticking. I noticed it on the way back from a cruise where I put over 100 miles on the car on a real hot day. I got stuck in traffic on the way home and after slowing down and putting the car in neutral, it seemed like the idle wanted to stay up around 1500-2k. I blipped the throttle a couple times (which is awkward in traffic due to my pretty loud exhaust lol) and after a few tries, it finally dropped. It seemed to continue on the ride home and even a few times the next time I drove it. Now just to add a little extra info, I have just over 40k on the car, and I know my imrc's are sticking because I've thrown the code a few times and they have never been cleaned. My thinking is the intake is prob gummed up pretty good and a good douching of the intake and imrc's will prob fix the issue but like I said, just wanted a little advice from the experts. Thanks in advance guys.

Twisted2

Established Member
I'm no Cobra expert of any kind. I was a bike mechanic though, for a number of years, and have horsed around with every motor I've ever owned. Another thing to look at, which you may have already, is the idea of a vacuum leak somewhere. I had one show up randomly in my old 5.0, and spent six months trying to fix a problem like what you describe. Turns out, the charcoal canister purge solenoid had gone bad, introducing a vacuum leak. In my experience, any kind of vacuum leak will cause the idle to hang. Just wanted to mention that.

Toasty

Established Member
Hey guys, just kinda wanna pick some brains. I'm sure ill figure it out being a mechanic and all (lol) just kinda seeing if anyone's had similar issues. Anyways noticed the ol hot rods idle kinda sticking. I noticed it on the way back from a cruise where I put over 100 miles on the car on a real hot day. I got stuck in traffic on the way home and after slowing down and putting the car in neutral, it seemed like the idle wanted to stay up around 1500-2k. I blipped the throttle a couple times (which is awkward in traffic due to my pretty loud exhaust lol) and after a few tries, it finally dropped. It seemed to continue on the ride home and even a few times the next time I drove it. Now just to add a little extra info, I have just over 40k on the car, and I know my imrc's are sticking because I've thrown the code a few times and they have never been cleaned. My thinking is the intake is prob gummed up pretty good and a good douching of the intake and imrc's will prob fix the issue but like I said, just wanted a little advice from the experts. Thanks in advance guys.

Clean or replace your IAC valve is my suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread