Sticking at 2000 rpm and burning plasticic smell

impactblue

Established Member
I was driving my freshly built car around my neighborhood and idle started sticking around 2000rpm and took a minute or so to low back down. Rushed to the driveway and shut it off and noticed some smoke. Looked to be coming from drivers side close to firewall

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd look for oil dripping on the headers or something else coming in contact with the header. I had a burning smell after I started mine and a paper towel had fallen between the header and the shock tower.

impactblue

Established Member
It's a very plastic/chemical smell. Like it smells like if you put your face in the smoke you would never see again lol

RSAGT500

Established Member
Are you sure you're headers aren't baking off any grease or oil that got on them from being handled? Did you do the idle learn process when you started it the first time?

impactblue

Established Member
I took apart the intake and throttle body. Couldn't find anything. Put it back together and it works now. Weird

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
I took apart the intake and throttle body. Couldn't find anything. Put it back together and it works now. Weird
Sounds to me if it is that "fresh" you were just burning off top layer of coatings\oil, god knows what else, esp if now it is not doing it...intake\tb wouldn't cause a burning smell..

You say the fire-wall, so was the smoke actually coming INSIDE the cabin or did you pop the hood and see the smoke from where the fire-wall is located?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread