Stick with stock alt puley or 3.2?

sho95

Established Member
I know this is being debated right now with all the alternator issues.
I am doing a 2.93 4# lower and 3.2 alternator pulley with a Steig stage3 port soon to arrive at my house.
Is the 3.2 alternator pulley safe to run with this combo. What will happen if it is not? or should i stick with the stock alt pulley?
Thanks

AMB

Established Member
sho95

If you aren't having any problems with your stock alternator and the 3.2" alternator pulley; USE IT, untill your stock alternator goes bad, and change the bad stock alternator with a NEW "PA ALTERNATOR" with the 3.2" pulley.

AMB

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
ALthough there's been more discussion about it lately, the majority of 4lb lower guys stick with the stock 2.60" alternator pulley. The stock pulley ends up overspinning the alternator by 13% while the 3.20" aftermarket alternator pulley underspins the alt by 8.06%.......Pick your poison.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Use the 3.2 pulley. I haven't heard of a single problem due to underdriving the alternator a tad. There are tons of alternator problems that may be due to overdriving it. Change it. You will not notice any difference unless you are running a huge sound system, etc. If you're doing that, you need to upgrade alternators anyway.

sho95

Established Member
No huge sound systems.
Just going to have a BAP installed and the rest of the electronics are stock.

Users who are viewing this thread