Stfiness Of Clutch

pkwest

Established Member
My first cobra was an early 03. After about 6 months the throwout bearing started squealing so I took it in for replacement. They replaced the clutch and pressure plate also. When picked up my car, I stepped on the clutch, it was way easier to depress. I was pissed and thought the put the wrong pressure plate in. I called SVT and gave them the part number. He said you got the right part. There was a pressure plate change mid year in 03. Too many people complained the clutch was too hard to depress. I now have my second 03. This one was built later in 03 and the clutch is as easy as my last 03 after the new pressure plate install.

Redfire03

Established Member
The cobras are always going to be this way, you might be able to make it a little better but if you even have to ask this probably isnt the car for you. Swapping in an auto is pretty easy to do though.

xavier296

Always another project.
Established Member
Centerforce DF is much easier than stock, and Mcleod Twin Disc is even lighter than that. The stock clutch can be a bear.

TermySnake

Established Member
Centerforce DF is much easier than stock, and Mcleod Twin Disc is even lighter than that. The stock clutch can be a bear.
:idea:isn't there a hydraulic clutch coversion.lol this guys brokes my heart:( even knowing how hard the clutches on these car, he want to buy a one.

ModularFan

Established Member
if there is a hydralic setup that be awsome. anyway i tested out the MGW shifter it felt about the same, the clutch felt a little different, i guess its something I am gonna have to live with it i get this car.

TermySnake

Established Member
if there is a hydralic setup that be awsome. anyway i tested out the MGW shifter it felt about the same, the clutch felt a little different, i guess its something I am gonna have to live with it i get this car.

:(I hate to be the bearer of bad news... but i think there isn't any hydraulic clutches setups for 99-04 stangs till now.
maybe u should do it no problem, there is a cars that equiped with this tranny have hydraulic clutches like: ls1 f-bodys, vettes.

ModularFan

Established Member
yea i kinda figured that lol. I wonder if the GT500 are the same way. where the shifter is hard to put into gear, and its a hydralic clutch to.

xavier296

Always another project.
Established Member
If you want a cobra clutch to feel like a honda civic, put in a twin disc. It really is that light!!

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
i like the stiff stock clutch and it's grabbiness.
idk maybe just me?

i do as well. nothing like getting in every other manual car and flinging your foot straight to the floorboard because every other clutch pedal out there is light as a feather since your left leg has become hulk hogan.

my clutch pedal, however, is notchy and you can feel the engine rpm's through it when depressing it. My TOB is squeaking and im sure the sleeve is going out too. at 70k though and it holds the power fine though.

the feel of the clutch and shifter can be helped, but by design its gonna take some getting used to. like stated, aftermarket clutches hold better than stock and are engineered for ligher pedal feel, so this may be an option. however after a week of driving, you might not even notice how heavy it is until you drive any other manual car out there.

ModularFan

Established Member
If you want a cobra clutch to feel like a honda civic, put in a twin disc. It really is that light!!

which twin disc setup should i go with?,

Also is the King Cobra Clutch light as well, there's a few company's that make them UPR,FRPP etc, maybe Exedy has something to.

TermySnake

Established Member
Thats what I run termy, and yes, I have driven my share of honda civics!

thanks for clearing that for me, when i had my car i had a spec clutch... tough as hell. not complainin though, but my legs now gotten lil slimmer, from drivin an automatic for a year now, & i'm afraid of driving it again when buying it. lol:-D

Last edited:

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
The stock clutch is stiff!!! So stiff that you really don't want to get caught in traffic.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member

So they really are that light? My DFX is very light compared to stock, but it is nowhere close to being as soft as a civic clutch. I love my DFX and plan to buy another one when the time comes, but if a Twin Disc is as light as you say, I may have to weigh one in against the DFX.

I've read that they're as light or lighter than 'clutch x', but most cars are aren't close to being as hard as our stock clutch so that doesn't always say much.

I'm assuming you have a Mcleod? Which one?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread