steve said no more engines??? help!!

headhunter14

Established Member
I talked to steve at tasca ford today, and he stated there are zero available remanufactured cobra engines in the nation. Who else can supply a top qaulity engine like the remans. Please help!

stangfreak

Established Member
nope. I heard the same thing as well. I work for mack trucks but we also sell and work on ford so I am a ford dealer.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Can yours be rebuilt? You may be able to rebuild it cheaper with better parts and more HP potential.

headhunter14

Established Member
I may be able to rebuild. I havent pulled the motor yet. I have rebuilt many pushrod engines, this will be my first modular rebuild. Ive searched and have yet to find a thread where someone rebuilds and offers tips. Usually everyone just buys a reman and slaps it in.
Can anyone offer up some advice on these engines? What manuals, special tools, things to look out for while assembling?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Can anyone offer up some advice on these engines? What manuals, special tools, things to look out for while assembling?

Deep down it's just an engine. The same basic principles apply as far as checking clearances and torquing things down. I used a shop manual for most of it. The only change was the piston ring gap. I went by what Total Seal recommended for that. I didn't use anything special. You can time the cams without the Ford tool. It's better to degree them anyway. Even if it's stock.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Get new primary timing chains and metal tensioners. Have someone go through your heads while it is apart. You may want to consider more compression (balance rotating asssembly) and matching cams at this point. Then add mainstuds (line hone required), ARP headstuds, ARP 2000 rod bolts (resizing required) and side bolts. Consider an oil pump with billet gears and a new (upgraded) water pump. Get a good set of bearings and you are now ready for 1000 RWHP. My build thread is over 5 years old and the pictures are gone, but I can say it is still running strong at almost 750 RWHP. Machining costs were about $1100 and parts prices can be found and added to that for an idea of the total.

stangfreak

Established Member
My man.. you're always solid with your INTEL/

Not surprised though.

L.I and NE boys were always solid on info.

Any strict 'timetable'?

My long block and T56 is really tired.

TWO WEEKS..........LOL !!!

Not sure if you remember back in the day the joke that was going around about the works 140 supercharger that was supposed to come out for our cars. lol every other week it was "two weeks" "two weeks" lol when I go back to work ill make a few phone calls about the block. In all honesty, my stock motor is still good but id like to change it to a 5.3

Quick Strike

Established Member
Quick strike. Did you put bronze valve guides in the heads? Different valves?

I sent my heads cross country to be repaired, CNC ported, and fitted with bronze guides, SS oversized valved and upgraded springs. The porting was great, but the valve job, repairs and surfacing were substandard. My great deal in CA wound up costing another $400 in repairs right out of the box. Stock valves and guides are fine unless you are going wild with cams. I went overboard with mine because it had failed and I was adding cams with a hefty lift. I would have been OK with stock guides and valves, but was very paranoid about breaking this thing again!

Link to your build thread?

I listed the parts and costs for the rebuild here. The build thread (now without pictures) is here, and the follow up dyno thread (now without movies) is here.

Users who are viewing this thread