Stereo system issue... NO SOUND!?

97cobra1

Established Member
The other night my cd player (aftermarket kenwood) stopped working.

Pulled it out of the dash and a wire had came uncovered. It was a 12 volt acc on wire i believe. A blue wire. Taped it back up to kill the ground and the cd player works and plays cds.

Now there is zero sound, not even a static buzz coming from the speakers. Did i blow a fuse? Where should i start looking? I have no clue where the amps are in the car or if that's the problem or if there's another fuse i need to check, or if it's a fuse at all.

All i know is i DD the car and i can't handle not having music to listen to on my commutes.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

97cobra1

Established Member
anyone? I know some of ya'll have had amp/stereo issues.

I don't really wanna tear into something i know nothing about, but i don't wanna take it somewhere to have it looked at when it could be a simple fuse.

redrocket16

Established Member
How did the blue wire become oncovered in the first place? If it just came loose on it's own chances are good that another connection or 2 are loose as well. I would check that first. I'm guessing the CD player powers up but does have any sound at all coming out? Also, do you have the factory mach setup with the amps minus the headunit? No aftermarket amps?

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
I bet the blue wire that came loose is the amp remote. Sounds like your amps are turning on which is what that blue wire is for.

97cobra1

Established Member
It was taped up. Heat/vibration. It's the stock 460 sound system other than an aftermarket radio. i've got everything rewired with connectors and everything that was lose bound together now, and wrapped up. i half assed it and didn't realize it til the tape started coming lose

Do the factory amps have a fuse that could have blown?

97cobra1

Established Member
From what i've read, the front amp signals the back amps with sound and the front amp powers the highs.

If the fuse in the front amp blows or the amp goes out completely that kills sound to the whole car correct?

That's what i'm leaning towards.

Users who are viewing this thread