Stereo surround

SLVRLTNG

Established Member
I have tried many possibilities in the search arena:shrug: and come up empty...I need to know how to remove the front part of the dash with the switches and stere, setc. My heater fan has only one speed and I want to check/replace the switch but don't want to break anything...Thanks.....:thumbsup:

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Get a set of ford radio removal keys (most local auto parts store or stereo shops)... pop out the radio and unplug it then the surounding should pop out..

SLVRLTNG

Established Member
I have an aftermarket stereo, not sure how it comes out. So that piece is held in by the stereo and I can pull it off after the stereo is out?

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
What kind of stereo? The reason I ask is the plastic kit that holds in aftermarket radios has a cage that goes into it for the aftermarket radio. They way some stay in place is the cage tabs get pushed out. So pulling it out may damage the radio or dash..

go to your local bestbuy and ask the guys in the stereo shop for a set of removal keys for your brand radio. If you cant get them I have a few sets for just about any radio.

SLVRLTNG

Established Member
It's a Kenwood KDCX492...................thanks for the help..The weather here has been sh!tty and I haven't looked at it much lately

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
ok, what you want to do is, pull the face off the radio... Then pull the trim thats around the radio.. the on the lsft and right hand side you want to put in Kenwood keys ( get from a stereo shop.
(here is what they look like.)
http://www.carpartfactors.com/acatalog/PC5-106.jpg

Put the keys in ( that bends some tabs out) and side the radio out. Then you can remove the cage and the dash kit..

SLVRLTNG

Established Member
I have tried many possibilities in the search arena:shrug: and come up empty...I need to know how to remove the front part of the dash with the switches and stere, setc. My heater fan has only one speed and I want to check/replace the switch but don't want to break anything...Thanks.....:thumbsup:

Turns out after some "googling" of the problem it's not the switch at all. If your blower motor only works on speed #4, the problem is a resistor near the blower motor. It's a $25 dollar part and takes maybe 20 minutes to replace.. Apparently the blower motor bypasses the resistor on high speed. I replaced this part and all is good noe.

Just a FYI part number is YH-1696 also on the box is 3M5Z-18591-BA

Users who are viewing this thread