Stereo question

MAT2CH

Enjoy The Ride
Established Member
I have a 2003 Lightning with the stock six CD head. Awhile back I decided to buy Boston Acoustics SL80 speakers to replace all four of the cheap stock speakers. After I put them in I noticed how clean the sound was but I was now lacking bass. I wanted something simple to install so I ordered a MTX Thunderform amplified subwoofer enclosure to give me a little more bass. My question is will my new system sound alright like this, or should I order another amplifier to power the Boston SL80 speakers? I'm not into super loud or super bass, I just want to have a nice full sound.

Kellyo77

keep calm and chive on!
Established Member
A small amp on your Bostons will make them sound considerably better. And louder if desired. The power output of the factory headunit is very little and isn't nearly as clean as using an amplifier.
It doesn't take much in terms of an amp. between 30 and 50 watts per channel will make a huge difference. Regardless of what the speaker says it's power rating is. Keep it in that range and you will be satisfied.
Don't buy some no name brand amp. If you want good sound quality you need a good quality amplifier.
I have a 2x60 amp on my Alpine door speakers, which are components. (Separate woofer and tweeter). And am using my headunit to power my rear speakers. Can't really hear them as well, so clarity wasn't a real concern with them. I am more than happy with the overall sound quality.
Good luck with it. PM me if you have any questions!

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
the stock head unit with aftermarket speakers will sound good sure...but they wont sound anything like they should without the proper power dude, get an amp.
the only thing stock about my stereo anymore is the stock wiring I left in the truck since i was too lazy to remove it lol...it isnt being used :p

flsvt

pullin away
Established Member
i have the stock deck with aftermarket speakers and i wish i could put a amp to them even when you get bass in there the higs proubly are gonna get drowned down by the bass.

MAT2CH

Enjoy The Ride
Established Member
I tried to buy another amp to power the four Boston Acoustic SL80 speakers and they didn't have any that would fit under the seat so I told them to just put my amplified THX THunderform enclosure in and if it didn't sound good I'd buy an amp form some place else and try again. I got it back and it really sounds good. I was surprised how much bass the powered subwoofer puts out. It vibrates my rear view mirror. I put the stock radio setting in the middle for both the bass and the treble and when I crank it up the four Boston speakers are loud and clear and the sub (which has an adjustment knob) sounds deep and hits hard. I would have never thought I'd get this good of sound from my stock CD player, but I sure am happy with it. Thanks to everyone that offered advice. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

ez112

Established Member
The impedance of the stock deck probably took the bass down. I would still consider a 4 channel amp for the Boston's, but that's just me. I'm going to put in a 4 channel just to see how it sounds. If it's good enough I might not even get a woofer. (hey it's weight!)

MAT2CH

Enjoy The Ride
Established Member
When I played my stereo for the installer before he worked on it, there was bass, it's just that the Boston SL80 speakers were so clear that it felt like there was no bass. The way it's set up now, they compliment each other very well. I might go with another amp for the Boston's, but right now I'm still digging the sound the way it is.

Users who are viewing this thread