Last edited:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Double"O" said:
This is exactly what i am trying to find a definative answer for

Car 1 has a twin screw making 450RWHP and 410RWTQ

Car 2 has a Centri making identical peak numbers

Traction is not an issure for either car. Which one will win??

How much will the power under the curve come into play????

Looking at dyno charts and really want to give the advatage to the Twin Screw. My car makes peak power right before redline just like a centri blown car

If the entire setups are equal (suspension, max horsepower, max torque, and rear gear), then I think it comes down to where the RPMs fall during shift. If we both shift at 6800 and our rpms fall to 5000 before engaging the next gear, then we are practically dead even. Our torque curves are very similar from 5000 to redline.

However, if the rpms fall to say 4000, then you have the advantage because I am now under my bell so-to-speak. Where you are virtually flat at 4k, I now have to climb back up to peak torque so I would assume my acceleration would be slower for that portion than yours.

I honestly cannot remember what my rpms drop to between shifts, but I can tell you I powershift and they don't drop much at all.

So, what about launch??? Again, if we both launch at 4500-5000, I still say we are equal. If our suspension and tire setups are traction limited and we launch below that, then provided your traction will hold enough to handle your torque, then you will have the advantage again. But I think it would be easier to control traction with less torque.

It still comes down to a shifter/driver race if everything is equal. Who can cut the best 60' without breaking traction and who can shift the fastest.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
brkntrxn said:
So, what about launch??? Again, if we both launch at 4500-5000, I still say we are equal. If our suspension and tire setups are traction limited and we launch below that, then provided your traction will hold enough to handle your torque, then you will have the advantage again. But I think it would be easier to control traction with less torque.

We both launch at say 5k and dead hook at the same RPM

brkntrxn

Established Member
Double"O" said:
Here go!!!!!! Centi vs Screw dyno sheets

My car at 7.5 psi

99 Cobra with 8psi P1SC

Discuss!

With those two graphs side by side, I would say your car would win. His hp is not at max rpm and the hp and torque both fall off greatly so the "bell" curves of the two are not similar in shape. That indicates that car is running out of breath at the top end (I think).

stangin99

Established Member
In response to Double O's graph...it all comes down to gearing and where the RPM's drop between shifts.

If the centri car drops to a higher RPM than the roots, and is thus in its peak tq range, then it would be a damn equal race.

However, it in the end all comes down to power under the curve and gearing. If you now what rpm's you drop to an dhave a dyno graph, you can see how much area you have under your power cuve. Compare that to another car's dyno knowing where he drops and you would have a good idea how you would fare against them.

SlwSVT

Established Member
One more scenario of late. Last summer with my little stock 01 + pro chamber, 4.10's and a Novi1k (10-11#'s). My bud 03 Cobra vert, 2.8" pulley, Predator tune, x pipe, cold air, stock gears. From a 35mph roll, you ride in his car and the instant torque feels awesome. You ride in mine and it felt ok, definately down on torque compared. So, if your the passenger, your thinking the 03 is gonna jump out in front and stay out. Well, from about that roll, both of is in 2nd gear, we are dead even. On the top of 2nd gear, I pulled about a 1/2-1 car. Then when I hit 3rd, it's all over I pulled a good 4 cars on him thru 120. We ran several times and the outcome was the same each time. We were both pretty shocked, as his car felt damn strong.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
brkntrxn said:
With those two graphs side by side, I would say your car would win. His hp is not at max rpm and the hp and torque both fall off greatly so the "bell" curves of the two are not similar in shape. That indicates that car is running out of breath at the top end (I think).

So does the belief of a Centri being better for the strip and a screw better on the street still stand givin proper traction??

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Gearing will make a differance

However in this comparison i would like to keep gearing out of the equation.

So same gears in each car they should both fall to the same RPM after the shift correct??

Last edited:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
SlwSVT said:
One more scenario of late. Last summer with my little stock 01 + pro chamber, 4.10's and a Novi1k (10-11#'s). My bud 03 Cobra vert, 2.8" pulley, Predator tune, x pipe, cold air, stock gears. From a 35mph roll, you ride in his car and the instant torque feels awesome. You ride in mine and it felt ok, definately down on torque compared. So, if your the passenger, your thinking the 03 is gonna jump out in front and stay out. Well, from about that roll, both of is in 2nd gear, we are dead even. On the top of 2nd gear, I pulled about a 1/2-1 car. Then when I hit 3rd, it's all over I pulled a good 4 cars on him thru 120. We ran several times and the outcome was the same each time. We were both pretty shocked, as his car felt damn strong.

you had a gear and weight advantage so that makes sense

brkntrxn

Established Member
Double"O" said:
So does the belief of a Centri being better for the strip and a screw better on the street still stand givin proper traction??

LOL, after printing and comparing the graphs of yours and mine... if all else is equal.... I don't know. If you are both launching and shifting at high rpms, then your area under the torque curve are very close. The graph of the centri you posted shows a sharp fall-off at high rpm.. my graph (torque) doesn't do that so my area under the curve between rpm to rpm would be greater.

stangin99

Established Member
Double"O" said:
Gearing will make a differance

However in this comparison i would like to keep gearing out of the equation.

So same gears in each car they should both fall to the same RPM after the shift correct??

given the same trans and same gearing...it would depend on where both would fall.

However, since both have very similar power bands at 4k-~6.5k, it would be a very close race once both cars got into the powerband.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
brkntrxn said:
LOL, after printing and comparing the graphs of yours and mine... if all else is equal.... I don't know. If you are both launching and shifting at high rpms, then your area under the torque curve are very close. The graph of the centri you posted shows a sharp fall-off at high rpm.. my graph (torque) doesn't do that so my area under the curve between rpm to rpm would be greater.

your also cramming alot more air into that motor, so yeah i would say that your TQ would not fall off as sharply as the 8psi graph

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
stangin99 said:
given the same trans and same gearing...it would depend on where both would fall.

However, since both have very similar power bands at 4k-~6.5k, it would be a very close race once both cars got into the powerband.

Exactly!!

brkntrxn

Established Member
Does anyone have any idea on where the rpms would fall if you shifted at 6800 with 4.10 gears and typical T45 gearing? I haven't driven my car since October, so I have no clue.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
brkntrxn said:
I think we are all saying the same thing. Excellent discussion and exercise by the way....

thanks except i spelled Street wrong in the title...lol

I just want to get answers for the debate between the two types of blowers. i never subscribed to the one is better on the street and the other at the strip point of view

brkntrxn

Established Member
Do all positive displacement blowers pretty much have the same torque curve as exhibited by Double O's dyno graph? Are they all pretty much out-of-the-box flat torque curve despite any other mods? Or do they fall victim to the upper level breathing issues like centris if the heads do not flow as well.

Any idea?

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
brkntrxn said:
Do all positive displacement blowers pretty much have the same torque curve as exhibited by Double O's dyno graph? Or do they fall victim to the upper level breathing issues like centris if the heads do not flow as well.

Any idea?

Good question!

my 9.5 psi dyno graph looks just like a pullied 03/04

and every 03/04 Dyno graph i have seen look like mine
same for the KB GTs

Users who are viewing this thread