Steering wheel

wudy

Established Member
Has anybody replaced the factory steering wheel? I am considering the swap but dont know what to do with the air bag and the cruise controll. Any info and / or pictures will be much appreciated..

Coderedsaleen

GTPerformance
Established Member
I have swapped the 2001 factory for a 2005 factory style. If you want to go to another aftermarket you will not have the airbag any more, as far as the cruise control I have seen a button system that you can add but unsure of the company. I will look for it again and let you know. Here is a pic of mine:

IMG_0093.gif

Has anybody replaced the factory steering wheel? I am considering the swap but dont know what to do with the air bag and the cruise controll. Any info and / or pictures will be much appreciated..

VincodeY

Established Member
that looks better then I would have thought. How did you paint the "mustang" on the dash?

sdg97232

Established Member
I have swapped the 2001 factory for a 2005 factory style. If you want to go to another aftermarket you will not have the airbag any more, as far as the cruise control I have seen a button system that you can add but unsure of the company. I will look for it again and let you know. Here is a pic of mine:

IMG_0093.gif

that looks sweet was the wheel a direct bolt-in or dose it take modifications.

Coderedsaleen

GTPerformance
Established Member
Unfortunately it is not a direct replacement. I had to modify the hole so it would slide on. To do the modification I drilled out the 2005 wheel and welded the 2001 insert into the base. The airbag and cruise control was rewired to the 2005 wires. A real PIA but I think it looks good. :beer:

that looks sweet was the wheel a direct bolt-in or dose it take modifications.

Jroc

Established Member
I have a FR500 steeringwheel. Its fat, soft and leather wrapped. It a good looking steeringwheel that looks OEM.

Here it is in my old GT.

15eu0ld.jpg

Here it is off my car.

oh3co.jpg

w1daj6.jpg

Last edited:

wudy

Established Member

IMG_0093.gif
I never would of thought of that. I like it. Looks great.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
+1 for the FR500.

Thicker than stock and looks great.

I stopped by the Grant booth at SEMA, they have some coming down the pipes that will fit with OEM Airbags. Probably Spring '10.

Coderedsaleen

GTPerformance
Established Member
Thanks for all the PMs, I will see what I can do about a write up and some more pics. Because of my Military job, time is not always on my side.

Users who are viewing this thread