Steering wheel wont come off

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
Got a really nice steering wheel for my 97 cobra on ebay. Got the air bag off no problem and took the torx bolt off put on the steering wheel puller and it pulled the aluminum threads right out of the wheel. (It kind of looked like someone tried to take it off at one time and gave up) Puller bolt threads didnt look real good. I know you cant just knock it off with a hammer any ideas besides a used column?

Last edited:

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
I tried using the steering wheel puller that the auto parts store loaned me. It sucked and did the same thing you said. I don't even think those holes are properly tapped. I took it back and got their small (not the large one) three jaw puller (from O'Reilleys). Just set it up to use two of the jaws (one on top, one on bottom). It worked great.

paintballpyro1

Established Member
Broke mine screw holes too. I got pissed and grabbed my wheel and started shaking and wiggling it side to side and pulling and it finally came off.

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys. One of the techs at work put the center bolt in tapped it 3 times with a hammer then yanked like hell and it came off, much better than puller.

Users who are viewing this thread