steering wheel shaking???!!!!

MustangSVT96

Established Member
I just got tokico shocks and struts and h&r ss lowering spring put in along with new ball joints, a rack and pinion, and a wheel alignment and my steering wheel shakes bad from 40 to 60mph and it pulls to the right and the steering wheel looks like I'm turning to the right when I drive straight. I had my wheels balanced before everything was done and brake pads and rotors and also when they did my alingment the said the back was off but they couldn't adjust it I need to buy a kit for it?

Anybody have a clue what it can be?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
The rear being off will throw off the thrust angle of the car but will not cause the shaking steering. It would have to have bushings in very bad shape to move enough to cause the car to pull once the alignment is done.

Any good alignment shop would have let you know that the alignment won't do a whole lot of good with bad bushings.

I wouldn't have touched it and taken your money if it were that bad.

Sounds like it could be one of a couple things,

Something still loose on the front end, IE: rack bushings, tie rod end or something else you changed.

Or
You have a tire problem that made itself evident when you changed all the front end parts that tightened the whole front end back up.

Without looking at it it is hard to tell.

As far as the steering wheel being off center they should fix that for you. Bring it back and have them re adjust the Toe setting with the wheel straight. They should not charge for this as it is probably their screw up.

luke87gt

Established Member
Start off with the tire balance. Use a load balancer. 90% of the time it's attributed to the tires. If you told us a brief history of how it started it may help.

If that does not cure it, you should look at the tie rods, followed by the A-arm & rack bushings, followed by the rag joint.

I went through this exact problem recently, tire balance improved it by 90%, but it's still got a little side to side steering shimmy when cold. I'll be replacing the rack soon and doing a new rag.

Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread