Steering Wheel play revisited..

Saleen281sc

I've got a Cobra,too
Established Member
Not long ago, I stumbled across this http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...play-steering-steering-shaft-suggestions.html thread and wondered if I had the same condition on my Cobra. I have had a loose, off center feeling in my steering wheel since I purchased the car.

Since the car was up on jackstands with the wheels off, I decided to investigate a little farther into it.

With the car "off", I can move the steering wheel side to side a good 1/2"-3/4" BEFORE the front hubs move at all. So in other words, theres at least that much play SOMEWHERE in the steering linkage before it gets down to the hubs.

I have done a general look-see over the rag joint, tie-rod ends, etc and see nothing abnormal.

So..the 64,000 dollar question is..where do I start? I can get new tie rod ends/inner tie rods from Tousley for less than 100 bucks. That would eliminate any issues there. Then, the steering shaft itself could be replaced, although I'm not real sure if theres an issue there. The only moving part is the rag joint, and like I said..it looks almost new.

That leaves the rack itself. I would pull it and have it rebuilt before trying to procure another Cobra rack, as they are not made anymore, and the ones you do find are just rebuilt units with stock GT/Mach1 internals..not the original Cobra internals. It seems to me the rack would be the only place you could have THAT MUCH play possible.

What has anyone else found? Any other solutions?

Any opinions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Jefe

Established Member
Flaming River steering shaft deletes that rag joint. I believe thats where the majority of the play comes from.

Stock Cobra rack will feel tighter than the stock replacement Ford sells. Best bet is to find a low mileage wrecked Cobra and pull it off to use on yours. not sure anyone sells the rack that Ford put on the Cobra originally

Saleen281sc

I've got a Cobra,too
Established Member
I can't find the post again, but someone on here sent their rack in and got it rebuilt for a couple hundred bucks. They replaced the worn parts but kept the valving that is Cobra-specific.

Flaming River steering shaft deletes that rag joint. I believe thats where the majority of the play comes from.

Stock Cobra rack will feel tighter than the stock replacement Ford sells. Best bet is to find a low mileage wrecked Cobra and pull it off to use on yours. not sure anyone sells the rack that Ford put on the Cobra originally

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
It is NOT NOT NOT the inner or outer tie rods that are doing this.

I have had the play in many Mustangs. My cars, parts cars, don't matter....they all have it.

I actually looked into this in my 96 Cobra because it was so bad. I found that the bearing in the firewall where the shaft goes through was bad. Mine cracked and fell out. It went straight down the shaft, so there was about 1/4" of play. I went under the car, grabbed the shaft at the firewall and I could move it all around.

I bought a new bearing, Ford dealer and www.50resto.com carries them for under 50 bucks. I also bought a new 03-04 Cobra steering shaft (same as 94-04) from Blue Oval Industries. They were having a blow-out sale for $34.95 each. Ford wanted almost $200 for a stock one.

DO NOT BUY FLAMING RIVER!!! The rivets come out....they are POS.

Buy the Maximum Motorsports shaft.

Jefe

Established Member
Wow didnt know that about the Flaming River...

Saleen281sc

I've got a Cobra,too
Established Member
It is NOT NOT NOT the inner or outer tie rods that are doing this.

I have had the play in many Mustangs. My cars, parts cars, don't matter....they all have it.

I actually looked into this in my 96 Cobra because it was so bad. I found that the bearing in the firewall where the shaft goes through was bad. Mine cracked and fell out. It went straight down the shaft, so there was about 1/4" of play. I went under the car, grabbed the shaft at the firewall and I could move it all around.

I bought a new bearing, Ford dealer and Mustang Parts & Accessories - 50resto carries them for under 50 bucks. I also bought a new 03-04 Cobra steering shaft (same as 94-04) from Blue Oval Industries. They were having a blow-out sale for $34.95 each. Ford wanted almost $200 for a stock one.

DO NOT BUY FLAMING RIVER!!! The rivets come out....they are POS.

Buy the Maximum Motorsports shaft.

Interesting. :beer:

you have a link to the bearing you are referring to, or a part number?

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
AaaaHA!!! I found it. Took me forever. 50 resto's website is tougher to use than it used to be to find little stuff like this. This peice should be in the steering shaft section. It is in the power steering section. Here it is:

94-04 BOOT, COLUMN, STEERING MUSTANG

As I said before, mine cracked and fell out. I work at a salvage yard with all types of Mustangs and all the ones I went to and pulled...they were either the same way or they were seized up and rusted. Trust me...some of your guy's cars could be the same way. Buy a new one if yours is frozen/seized up/rusty.

This bearing along with the new Ford steering shaft cured 99% of my problem. I still had/have a little bit of play, so I bought MOOG inner and outer tie rod ends, new Tokico (Mach 1) struts and got a front end alignment. My right side strut was junk...no fluid at all after only 54,000 miles. I still have the slightest bit of play which leads me to believe it is one of two things: 1. Rack bushings. 2. Rack and Pinion itself. I am done working on it. The car is 99% better than before and is currently for sale. Before, I could not go around corners with bumps over 70...it was scary. Now...I can hit the same turns with bumps on the freeway at 90-100 without batting an eyelid.

Last edited:

bwahl602

Established Member
usually if a rag joint has play in it, there has to be pressure against the wheels to see the play... if the wheels are off the ground and your shaking the wheel back and forth you may not see anything

you can usually see play in tie rods pretty easily if you grab the wheel and shake it..
steering rack play can be tough to dignose unlessits obvious

MM steering shaft is a good buy either way from what im told.

also, if you have low tire pressure and a fairly tall sidewall, you could feel a "less responsive" feeling if your used to say an 18inch wheel and 30 series tires

bill

Users who are viewing this thread