Steering wheel over rotation when installing headers, what damage could it be?

Matt P

Established Member
Well it seems my steering wheel was over rotated when I was doing a motor install and hooker header install. I had take the bolt loose on the shaft, moved the shaft out the way pulled motor and headers out. All was well. I had to push the car into my side carport and just put the shaft on the rack with out the bolt. I had wifey in the car while I pushed and she just cranked the wheel a bunch too much and the shaft rotated on the rack because it had no bolt in it. My mistake :D I got it all back together this weekend. I tried to realign the shaft as best I could, it steers fine, blinkers work, but I the airbag SRS light gives me three slow blinks at start up then the light stays on.

I figure something was damaged in the steering wheel interconnect mechanism, an ideas what is broken?

Matt P

Established Member
Is the clocking spring something that I need to purchase a part to repair or is it something I can rebuild/reset. Ive taken a few Nissan columns with SRS apart for aftermarket wheel installs and to put the stock SRS wheel back on, so I believe I can DIY. Just looking for a place to start on the Ford.

paintballpyro1

Established Member
Yup clockspring, i did that when i did my heater core. Over rotated the steering wheel and heard a snap haha. I bought mine from the ford dealer on here for like $60-75 bucks or so. You have to get a steering wheel puller and pull it off and the clockspring is right under i believe, been awhile since i did mine.

Edit: found a how-to online for you(pdf.file) i didnt need that tool they say but then again i prolly didnt do it right but not got the light again. http://www.paladinmicro.com/documents/ClockSpringRR.pdf

Last edited:

Matt P

Established Member
Do I need the diagnostic tool to reset the light? Or just swap out the clock sprong and it will reset its self?

paintballpyro1

Established Member
I just disconnected the battery swapped everything, plugged everything back in and reconnected the battery and havent had a problem, light just shut off afterwards. So im assuming that it will just reset itself.

Users who are viewing this thread