Steering wheel not straight... NOT alignment

TurboBird

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Hey something thats bothering me with the car (98 cobra)

1. Seats got the gansta lean to the left. Figured i can swap them left to right. No big deal. Temp fix till i buy proper race seats

2. I SWEAR the steering wheel isnt straight. Not alighnment but the face. If i put my wrists on the outside of the wheel the left is deeper then the right. I'll grab the wheel and slide into the door a bit and my arms even out. Can i adjust this? Searches have turned up nothing

Cheers

Ray

hittinboost

Established Member
Hey something thats bothering me with the car (98 cobra)

1. Seats got the gansta lean to the left. Figured i can swap them left to right. No big deal. Temp fix till i buy proper race seats

2. I SWEAR the steering wheel isnt straight. Not alighnment but the face. If i put my wrists on the outside of the wheel the left is deeper then the right. I'll grab the wheel and slide into the door a bit and my arms even out. Can i adjust this? Searches have turned up nothing

Cheers

Ray
Not sure about your seats, however the steering wheel in every mustang I've ever seen is not straight. If you stand outside your car near the drivers mirror and look down through your windshield you'll notice the steering wheel looks bent or crooked to one side. I have no idea why Ford did it, but I sure would like to know. :idea:

edit: I've never seen an adjustment for it, pretty sure that's just how it is.

Last edited:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
The right side of my steering wheel ( I think ) is pushed in more than the left. Its like Ford couldnt get the column in if they didnt do it like that or something. Doesnt bother me.

TurboBird

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Its funny, lived in canada, owned lots of fords, never noticed. Come overseas and drive on the other side for 4 years. As soon as i hop back in it the first thing i notice. Wonder if fords here are lean the other way. Gonna have to test that out. Anyone know about the seats. I'll probibly just wait and buy some race ones. Prob wont swap side to side when they are power.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
I have noticed the same thing, not a big deal... I do have a lot of slop however.. alignments good, new tie rods ball joints and r/p bushings...no impact no idea

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
my .02 about the steering wheel being sort of bent to the left, i think it is for ease of hittin the turn signal switch when driving the car with one hand, when you think about it you can hit it with in a fingers reach no problem, other cars you sometimes have to take your hand off the wheel, that and it is super comfy to rest your arm on the door sill and one hand on the wheel..i feel as tho if it were even it would not be as comfy.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
Rag joint in the steering shaft

Really that would cool to know if that is the problem. I always thought the steering wheel didn't look straight and caters more towards the left looking through the windshield.

TurboBird

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Cant wait to swap the shit drivers seat out. No cracked leather but the bolster is done. It moves back and i can adjust the back support. It dosent lean back or forward. The last 3 girls have said how much they love the leather seat. Guess its just a drivers seat getting a recaro. Hopefully all the jap seats will fit when i get some manual rails.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
hmm rag joint in steering shaft/? any details behind that? i am unfamiliar

You are talking about actual slop in the steering feel, correct? Not just the wheel being off centered?

The factory steering shaft is 2 piece, and they're joined by a rubber joint. Over time the rubber breaks down and becomes more pliable, creating slop in the steering. There are a few companies that sell shafts with solid u-joints, instead of rubber joints, like Maximum Motorsports for example. I have one on my car. It was one of my favorite modifications.

greenscobie86

Established Member
Wow, interesting thread, and here I thought the whole time I was crazy. So the steering wheels in our cars ARE at an angle!

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
You are talking about actual slop in the steering feel, correct? Not just the wheel being off centered?

Correct, I actually looked into it today because my motor is out, and I have to take out the shaft for my bassani mid lengths anyway... What kind of cost am I going to be looking at for a solid u joint

Users who are viewing this thread