Steering slop

chknhwk

New tires and wheels (factory wheels with 245/45 T1S's) and the car still has horrible slop in the steering wheel!! :mj: :gt:
Any ideas? It looks like I'm drunk going down the road because it moves so much - I've had the engine out on the contour and it still reacts quicker than my Cobra.
I've got a two day track event at Mid-Ohio next week and I'd like it fixed before then - car's doing double duty.:rolleyes:

chknhwk

Crap - I wish I had thought of that last night; just installed brake pads all four corners and Russell SS brake lines up front. :loser: LOL

97whitecobra

Established Member
I've got a little slop also. After an allignment. I'm not sure if it's just me or not. The car only has 22,000 miles on it. ???????????????

a94cobra

Established Member
I am having this same problem I think. I put a new steering rack and tie rod ends. Car feels just the same. What else is there?

blk96SVT

Established Member
This is weird! I just had new tires put on the front, balanced, and had the front aligned and it still pulls to the left, then I correct it, pulls a little to the right then, I am getting mad, but I am going to check it out on Monday!!

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
My steering wheel has some slop in it too. I put a Flaming River steering rack in hoping it would help, due to the rubber bushing in the stock unit. Unfortunately it didn't help. Changed the inner tie rods and put the Baer bumpsteer kit and solid steering rack bushings in and I still have the slop. I gave up and have lived with it since.

a94cobra

Established Member
You put a Flaming River rack and pinion steering unit. Did you change the shaft from the inside the car on the steering wheel down to the steering unit as well?

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
No, I just changed the shaft. The rack is stock w/ new inner tie rods. The shaft is real nice w/ good bearings, if you change the inner tie rods, just buy a new steering rack w/ the rods. What a pita.

cobra331

Established Member
Me Too!!!

Mine's pulling to the left big time!! I have a ton of suspension mods though. I'm thinking it's the offset rack bushings. Sometimes they rotate in the rack and the result is your steering rack is offset the wrong way. Also don't forget to make sure whoever does your alignment to check everything: TOE, CASTER, AND CAMBER. Believe it or not they usually only do two of these.

~B7~

Established Member
MM shaft is my next mod.....hopefully. I don't know why I bother steering the car when there's so much play in the wheel.

Last edited:

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
blk96SVT said:
This is weird! I just had new tires put on the front, balanced, and had the front aligned and it still pulls to the left, then I correct it, pulls a little to the right then, I am getting mad, but I am going to check it out on Monday!!
same here. i think my problem is the tires, 285/40/17 is a little wide all the way around. i mean it does look like you are drunk because it grabs everything on the road.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
ball joints will cause steering slop. jack the wheels off the ground and put your hands on the tire at the 12 and 6 o'clock position. try to move the wheel back and forth. if there is movement the ball joints are wore and need replaced. worn ball joints will cause the tire to move back and forth while driving, making the steering feel sloppy. if you've got lowering springs you should get the steeda x2 ball joints. i've heard good things about these.

Users who are viewing this thread