steering slop

americanthunder

nuts and bolts
Established Member
hey guys, I want to get rid of the play in my steering, the car is lowered 2". I guess this is related to bumpsteer, whats the most effective x 2 balljoints, seeda bumpsteer kit, or the mm kit which also calls for bumpsteer gauge.I did a search and couldn't find enough satisfactory info. thanks guys!

Stitch

Established Member
americanthunder said:
hey guys, I want to get rid of the play in my steering, the car is lowered 2". I guess this is related to bumpsteer, whats the most effective x 2 balljoints, seeda bumpsteer kit, or the mm kit which also calls for bumpsteer gauge.I did a search and couldn't find enough satisfactory info. thanks guys!

The play is not bump steer.

Its from the rag joint in the steering shaft. Look at maximum motorsports website and you'll find a replacement solid shaft for about $250.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
americanthunder said:

Something to check if you have some steering slop in your Cobra. Check under the dash... the steering wheel shaft meets up in a male/female type coupling. Take a hammer and lightly tap down on the female collar/lip part of the coupling. I used an opened end wrench to serve as a kind of an anvil to help tap down on this collar and it immediately tightened up the slack I was experiencing. Someone posted on how to do this awhile ago. Worked like a charm. Seems the coupling can loosen up over time. Hope that does it.

americanthunder

nuts and bolts
Established Member
thanks guys, but the slop I mean is having to turn the steering wheel more to make the car turn same amount as before the lowering of the car.

out99sider

Established Member
i just ordered the Maximum Motorsports front grip kit. this has that solid steering shaft in it. I'll let u know if it got rid of my steering slop.

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
americanthunder said:
thanks guys, but the slop I mean is having to turn the steering wheel more to make the car turn same amount as before the lowering of the car.

lowering the car should not affect steering ratio.
I would also look into replacing your rubber steering rack bushings with aluminum bushings. other things to check for are your ball joints and tie rods, if they are worn you can have slop in your steering.
good luck

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Serpentor said:
lowering the car should not affect steering ratio.
I would also look into replacing your rubber steering rack bushings with aluminum bushings. other things to check for are your ball joints and tie rods, if they are worn you can have slop in your steering.
good luck

I think that's what I need to replace next. I have the center drilled aluminum rack bushings and the steering isn't as tight as it used to be. Any suggestions for new tie rods and ball joints other than Steeda?

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
I just got the 03+ cobra ford ball joints (new ones come with grease fittings) and '00R tie rods. I don't need the x2 or bumpsteer kit because i'm not lowered all that much. I don't have the mm steering shaft but I know its a big improvment in steering feel over the stock shaft

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
also it should be obvious if you need new ball joint or tie rods. have it checked out before you shell out the dough.
another thing.. your alignment settings will have an effect on your steering "feel". more caster will give you more "on center" feel and less toe in will make your steering feel more responsive but will also make it wonder more and affect the tire wear. its all a trade off....

americanthunder

nuts and bolts
Established Member
thanks guys for the info, I ordered the mm bumpsteer kit and the gauge sounds like you can't install the kit without proper measurement gauge its pricey 123.00, I managed to to get off the phone before my obsessive compulsiveness kicked in, there are so many things I'd like to repalce control arm bushing,camber plates, rack bushings ect :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread