Steering Play, Noise, And An Oil Spill

TDMCobra

Ringside.
Established Member
Okay, I finally got my car back but there are some small issues I want to take care of.

-Steering: Car is aligned but there is play in the steering wheel. Like if Im going down the road, I can "bounce the wheel" back n forth. When Im going straight it wont "catch" and I have about an inch of movement before it catches. Any ideas?

-Oil Spill on the Carpet in back. Its not that bad, I got most of it up. Any ideas on getting it back to normal? I was going to use degreaser and vacuum it up after I spray it everywhere. I dont think that is going to work to well so I was also wondering if it would be worth it to get it shampooed at a detail shop or something. Also, another random idea. Pour water all over the back carpet and then vacuum it up and dry it out somehow. Im rambling.

-This really isnt an issue but about half the time I push the clutch in and out, I hear this loud almost like popping noise. Kinda like popping a plastic 2 liter bottle back into place after you make an indention in it. I know that sounds weird and specific but...yeah.

If I can think of any other issues, Ill ask. Thanks guys. If I can get these issues, and some I plan to fix soon, all sorted out, Im going to keep the car for college.

Last edited:

SN_95

this hobby cost too much
Established Member
steering: check the u joints on steering column for if their worn
oil spill: use purple power and comet...yes the dish soap in powder form,what you do is spray the purple power and then rub the comet into the purple power on the oil spot....they say to dilute purple power but its stronger if not diluted and it wont fade your carpet...at least it never faded mine.
Clutch: havent got a clue sorry
hope that helped ya out

Last edited:

SnakeStang96

SVT Crazy
Established Member
My clutch did the same thing and it was my clutch cable, replaced it and it went away. Not 100% its your problem but could be.

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Are you sure your head gasket is blown? Coolant in the oil?

If one of them popped, don't worry. Head gaskets on a 5.0 aren't too bad to replace. Just get a chiltons and use some good quality replacements. I've had good luck with Napa "Victor Reinz" or Fel-Pro. When the heads are off the car make sure you get them pressure checked and milled.

As for the steering, I'm a fan of checking the steering shaft, tie rods, or the rack itself. The inner tie rods can sometimes need replacing.

The carpet should be cleaned with "Simple Green" in my opinion. This stuff works very well and doesn't harm rubber or plastic like other de-greasers can. I spilled some oil in my trunk once and Simple Green took it out great without ruining the color or texture of the carpet. Plus it smells good. :)

Good luck, bro. Its time to throw some wrenches :beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread