Steering Locked up

MustangCRZY302

Established Member
I was driving home from work today, and I took a turn rather spirited like I normally do, and in the middle of the turn, the steering wheel locked up. I had to quick turn it back to the right, then to the left to free it up. What could this be? I also noticed that when sitting and I move the steering wheel back and forth rapidly, I hear a kinda of clunking noise coming from the bottom of the steering shaft, center of the rack and pinion. It just did it the one time, and was fine the rest of the ride home. The only play I can feel in the steering system is slight play on the Driver side INNER tie rod. Also, I put the car on my lift at home, and when i keep the steering wheel unlocked (key in ignition), and go to the wheel and turn it both ways, it kinda sounds like a piece of metal is moving through the center of the steering rack, mixed with fluid rushing through the lines. Any idea what this could be? Do I need a new rack? If so, where can I get one new? how hard to install? thanks for the info!

-Adam

Users who are viewing this thread