Steering linkage making noise???

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
I'm not totally sure whats causing it ...

but i hear a "creeking" sound when i am making slight movements with the steering wheel...like when im pulling into a parking lot or backing out of my driveway (i only notice it during slow speeds) only for the past day or so.

if im facing straight ahead and make a slight turn to the left or right...i hear a creek coming from underneath the car. only during slow speeds tho..or at least thats when its quiet enough to hear.

any ideas or suggestions...worth bringing in to dealer?

04cobratorchred

I Love Being Blown
Established Member
i have the very same problem same times i only hear it when going slow backing out of my driveway ect. it seems to stop when the car is warmed up for the most part i think i am just going to take it into the dealer and have them take a look at it. this started about a week ago when i hit 700 miles

Steeda1

Established Member
LOL...I just noticed mine doing the same thing. I have a bassani o/r x w/stingers, so it could be that it has been doing it. I don't really know since I can't hear anything in my car:bored:

3GROC

Established Member
mine does the same thing....Im dealing with it

03BlkSVT

Established Member
My car was doing the exact same thing recently. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the steering rack bushings under warranty. This fixed the problem for me:)

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
wow...lol

i guess ill bring it in and make them get and ill turn the wheel from side to side for them and see if they can fix it.

i mean...i could just turn on the radio and not hear it....but ever since i installed my intake and exhaust...i just want to hear the engine the past week and thats when i noticed the noise...when i was backing out of my driveway.

thanks for the replys

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
I think there is a TSB for it. A guy about a week ago said he tack welded something behind the steering rack to fix it......and Steeda makes better rack bushings.....as another option.

rodthrower

Established Member
Originally posted by Nicky P 03 SVT
I think there is a TSB for it. A guy about a week ago said he tack welded something behind the steering rack to fix it......and Steeda makes better rack bushings.....as another option.

One link is here -
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=135863

The short-term fix for me was to use some silicone spray on the bushings. It's only been a week, but I'm still creak-free.

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
i just got home from school with the car....and after about 20-25 minutes of driving ...the creek is barely noticeable....

does it have something to do with the cold weather on startup ya think.

its getting colder here on long island.

cgg074

Established Member
The noise isn't caused by the bushings. The dealer replaced them and the creak was still there.

The noise comes from metal spacers that the rack bolts go thru that are in lower contol arm area in crossmember.

Just tack weld both ends to the crossmember and the noise will be gone.

Worked for me!

Go to the thread that rodthrower mentioned. I posted the link to the step by step (with pictures) of where to tack weld.

Should you have any questions, just PM me.

Good luck guys!

Users who are viewing this thread