Steering Issue

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
I have tried using the search function but to no avial :shrug:

Just recently I have been noticing a small ripping noise when I turn the steering wheel left and right. The sound is very minor, the best I can describe is a stretching and or ripping noise in the steering wheel. This only happens at very low speed and when I am stopped. Also, it does not occur in the mornings, it occurs on my way home from work. I am not sure if the weather has anything to do with it.

Yesterday, I lifted the car and had the GF turn the wheel, she couldn't feel anything and I didn't see any problems while I was under the car with the ball joints, tie-rods, steering rack bushing.

It is slight ripping and or stretching noise when turning the wheel and low speeds and stopped. It is driving me crazy :bash:

Thanks for your help!

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
I do not. Would you mind educating me on the purpose of the offset rack bushings?

Also, I did install Eibach springs with a 1.5 drop last year.

Nevermind, I found this:

"Offset rack bushings are for lowered cars, they re-set the steering geometry to compensate for the drop of the front end."

Last edited:

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
Oh, did you mean the steering rack bushings. There a four bushings, correct?

I have not replaced those, I do believe they are the original bushing. I hope this is the problem as I have been seeing how to fix them on youtube, not to mention the cost is fairly cheap.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

snakeraper11b

Established Member
I keep reading that offset rack bushings are required when using an aftermarket K member. Is this correct?

It would depend on the brand of k-member and whether or not they are compatible with OEM bushings. I only ask if you had the offset bushings because of something that happened on my old mustang. I installed aluminum offset rack bushings, and they loosened a little over time. This allowed some squirm, and when stopped, if I turned the wheel, you could hear a creeeaaaak, every time. A little thread locker, tightened them up again and no more creeeaaaaak.

Users who are viewing this thread