Steering is heavier when turning left.

lsxjunkie

Established Member
My car is a 2014, so it has EPAS. I hit a heavy series of potholes while hard on the brakes over the weekend and had to get an alignment. The car was no longer tracking straight with the steering wheel centered. I didn't notice it immediately after the alignment, but it feels like the steering wheel is heavier to turn left off of center now. I feels like it wants to return to center much more than when I turn right.

The rack's printer wasn't working so I never got a print out of the new alignment specs (grrr), but the tech told me he set the toe to .1* positive toe. I didn't get to see camber or caster. The car tracks straight down the highway, so I know the toe is good, but what could be causing the steering weight to be uneven?

Last edited:

greenscobie86

Established Member
Can't help you too much on the steering issue, but I can relate to knocking alignment out on NYC roads for sure... Pothole City...

If the caster is out of whack the steering wheel may not return to center as easily. Do you have CC plates on your car? If not there is no easy way to set caster on stock hardware that I know of so perhaps due to hitting the pot holes you're a bit off caster now? Most of the alignment techs that I've had business with in the NYC area wont do much except adjust toe, not saying this is the case with you but just fyi.

lsxjunkie

Established Member
Can't help you too much on the steering issue, but I can relate to knocking alignment out on NYC roads for sure... Pothole City...

If the caster is out of whack the steering wheel may not return to center as easily. Do you have CC plates on your car? If not there is no easy way to set caster on stock hardware that I know of so perhaps due to hitting the pot holes you're a bit off caster now? Most of the alignment techs that I've had business with in the NYC area wont do much except adjust toe, not saying this is the case with you but just fyi.

Yeah, the next step is to get the car back on the rack to see if the caster is out. I'm pissed I didn't get to see the specs from my alignment over the weekend.

Anyone have any other ideas of things to check for when I get this thing back on the rack?

Last edited:

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
Yeah, the next step is to get the car back on the rack to see if the caster is out. I'm pissed I didn't get to see the specs from my alignment over the weekend.

Anyone have any other ideas of things to check for when I get this thing back on the rack?
Was this taken care of for you, lsxjunkie?

Deysha

Users who are viewing this thread