steering feels all over the place! Help

Tytus2012

Established Member
I posted this a little in another thread but decided to post here.

I have 13 Shelby with FRPP springs, BMR adj UCA,pan hard bar, relocation mounts and steeda LCA. I have stock gy on front going to be replacing them soon. So until today this has been the only gt500 I have driven.

The problem: my car feels as if the steering wheel is fighting me sometimes on uneven terrain, minor bumps and most the middle yellow lines w/ reflectors. The car feels like its swaying back and forth. I even notice on the interstate I feel I'm wiggling back and forth. When I let go of my steering wheel you can see the steering wheel turn back and forth as the car hits the yellow lines little bumps like it is trying to adjust. When getting on it feels even scarier as the car feels like it is all over the road.

A month after owning the car my steering rack module went out and was replaced under warranty by ford. It kind of noticed the wiggle when I went to the drag strip but just thought that's what a 662 HP feels like. I went back to ford about 3 weeks ago after I went to Power by the hour for my KB build. I notice how all over the road the car felt driving over there. Passing someone it felt that sometimes it would want to pull me to left right off the road. PBH guy that drove it said he thought my car wandered too. After they were done alignment was done and that shops guy thought the same thing. That's when I thought I need to take it back to ford. I went to ford they check all mechanical components and checked the steering for any codes said everything checked out and couldn't find anything wrong. They said I needed front tires and its probably due to the frpp springs and tires. I know a lot of people have these same springs and if they were experiencing what I am wouldn't have them so I do not think that's the problem. I'm getting tires with in the week and know tires can help but don't think that's the problem either.

OK so I drove a stock gt500 with new tires and all I can say is the steering wheel and the way it drove felt so much different. The steering wheel never corrected its self. It would just ride over the bumps like nothing I felt confident taking corners(do not feel this way in my car).

Has anyone experience this or anything like this? Does anyone have any inputs or solutions to what I can do? Also I'm in Sarasota , fl 45 mins south of Tampa. So if anyone with a 13 or 14 Shelby with suspension mods wants to meet up and give me a ride that would be great. Ford said they didn't have another Shelby to compare it to.
Thanks guys!

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Never heard of this.
Not familiar with the new electronic steering.

Tytus2012

Established Member

Yeah I read the thread. I have a very very slight vibration in steering wheel but nothing like his. They said they reflashed the EAPS. And still no codes or anything. Said they called corporate and they said if there are no codes than it is working properly. Is what I am describing be tram lining this is new to me?

Beercules

Established Member
Bump steer? They have kits for that at various Mustang aftermarket companies. Uses longer post on the tie rod end. Lowing the car changes the geometry of the suspension and causes it.

Tytus2012

Established Member
Bump steer? They have kits for that at various Mustang aftermarket companies. Uses longer post on the tie rod end. Lowing the car changes the geometry of the suspension and causes it.

can you elaborate on this? How come no one else is having this problem on a lowered car?

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
can you elaborate on this? How come no one else is having this problem on a lowered car?

Most do when they lower the car just we already know what it is so we take care if it. Or as we lower the car we install the bump steer kit at the same time. The oversized ball joints solved my problem so never needed the kit.

Some cars get it and some don't

Last edited:

phil123

Established Member

I have Ford racing springs and Van's kit with no problems like this.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
You commented you have stock GYs on the front. Do you have something different on the back? Mismatched tires can sometimes do evil things.

Tom

Tytus2012

Established Member
I have 295 mpss on back i am putting some use mpss 265 up front tomorrow they have like 6/32 on them my friend is just giving to me. we are going to see if that changes anything. I do not have a bump steer kit and did not know anything about it. does this sound like my problem because getting on it scares the shit out of me. Feels like the car wants to drive all over the place.

Tytus2012

Established Member
Most do when they lower the car just we already know what it is so we take care if it. Or as we lower the car we install the bump steer kit at the same time. The oversized ball joints solved my problem so never needed the kit.

Some cars get it and some don't

i havent ever exp bump steer so i am not sure what i am seeing is bump steer. would bump steer cause my steering wheel to pull has i hit the median lines or bumps or uneven terrain?

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
i havent ever exp bump steer so i am not sure what i am seeing is bump steer. would bump steer cause my steering wheel to pull has i hit the median lines or bumps or uneven terrain?

As I understand it, bump steer is when the suspension is steering the car. So it does make sense to me
It's when the A-Arms and tie rods angle is messed with

From American muscles website think there's a video that explains it as well around here somewhere

"Bumpsteer

Bumpsteer refers to the toe angle of the car changing as the suspension travels in it’s up and down motion. This is due to the tie rods traveling at a different rate than the control arms. This is compounded by a rough or imperfect road surface that will cause the suspension to react. The result is a car that feels like it changes directions as it hits these imperfections in the road. At best, bumpsteer is a nuisance. At its worse, it can be dangerous on rougher roads and higher speeds.

This is accentuated when the car is lowered and its “normal” ride height has already placed the tie rods and control arms in a much different position than the manufacturer intended. The fix for this is a bumpsteer kit, such as those offered by Steeda."

Last edited:

Bllit11

Established Member
My stock 2013 gt500 felt like this called the dealer they checked the alignment and called it a day put mpss on it not as bad or maybe i got used to it.

Tytus2012

Established Member
My stock 2013 gt500 felt like this called the dealer they checked the alignment and called it a day put mpss on it not as bad or maybe i got used to it.

Yeah its getting mpss for the front right now the Svt master tech said it should help but wanted to keep the car to check everything out and I'd there was something off he would find it. So I'm just waiting for now.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member

Bump steer is not a factor unless your suspension is traveling up and down. Median lines would not affect it.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread