Steel or Aluminium Flywheel

Stage 4.6

Established Member
You guys using the McLeod RXT, what is your preference on the fly wheel set up Steel or Aluminum and why?

oxford03cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm using a Fidanza aluminum flywheel with my RXT and it drives just fine with it. The reason I went with the aluminum flywheel was just cause its a little lighter.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I have a McLeod Steel fly wheel, but I also have my stock aluminum flywheel and was wondering would i get better performance? Ive read that the steel provides better drive ability?

Thanks for the reply.

cj428mach

Established Member
My old SB cobra had a Spec stage 3 with a steel flywheel when I bought it. The seller had installed the setup and said his largest regret on the car was going steel flywheel. He claimed it made a noticable difference in how quickly and easily it reved.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
That's interesting, I currently have 4:10 gears on mine i wonder if that made a difference on the butt dyno on how mine reved up so quick in first? I am actually going back to the 3:55.

Iam really trying to just get better drive ability out the RXT twin disc setup, my shop mechanic/tuner swears it will be much smoother with the steel flywheel. I am getting the rear end and clutch re-done at the same time so we will see?

UnrealSVT

Established Member
You guys using the McLeod RXT, what is your preference on the fly wheel set up Steel or Aluminum and why?
This is only from personal research, but it seems that the drag racers like the lightened steel, and the roll (highway) racers prefer the aluminum. I also hear aluminum may chatter more...

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
I’m running a steel flywheel, no chatter at all and feels pretty good so far

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Stage 4.6

Established Member
My RXT kit shipped today wth the McLeod steel fly wheel, will soon find out if theres an improvement.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Paul, it just got delivered yesterday, will be going in this weekend, the clutch kit for being rebuilt looked brand new, they did a real nice job.
My car will be getting towed to my tuners shop for a re-tune so i might be a while before i report back, but ill make sure to post up results.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
*Update:
Picked the car up from the shop today, had a rebuilt RXT clutch, new steel flywheel, TOB, clutch cable, and all the necessary components installed. I also had a trutrac diff, 3:55 gears installed, previously had 4:10s.

I will say the pedal effort feels phenomenal, i must of had the clutch cable ready to go out cause my pedal effort was crappy. The shifts are decent but it does still chatter a bit, It just really depends how you throttle the car, i am still in the breakin period so we will see if it smooths out when i get a few miles on it. I am also getting use to the 3:55s cause i tend to leave the car in 2nd gear when rolling kind of slow on take off and the car lugs a bit, with the 4:10s car pulled out fairly easy.

UnrealSVT

Established Member
*Update:
Picked the car up from the shop today, had a rebuilt RXT clutch, new steel flywheel, TOB, clutch cable, and all the necessary components installed. I also had a trutrac diff, 3:55 gears installed, previously had 4:10s.

I will say the pedal effort feels phenomenal, i must of had the clutch cable ready to go out cause my pedal effort was crappy. The shifts are decent but it does still chatter a bit, It just really depends how you throttle the car, i am still in the breakin period so we will see if it smooths out when i get a few miles on it. I am also getting use to the 3:55s cause i tend to leave the car in 2nd gear when rolling kind of slow on take off and the car lugs a bit, with the 4:10s car pulled out fairly easy.
Thank you for the update. I know it's early still, but do you notice any type of slower revving RPMs due to the introduction of the steel flywheel?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MG0h3

Established Member
I think my RXT chattered once in the four years I had it. It was installed and broken in before I got the car though so I'd imagine it might happen more when new.

My 1200 showed up today but all the other stuff next week:mad:

UnrealSVT

Established Member
I think my RXT chattered once in the four years I had it. It was installed and broken in before I got the car though so I'd imagine it might happen more when new.

My 1200 showed up today but all the other stuff next week:mad:

Sucks you're waiting on additional parts...I also purchased the RXT1200 over the holidays. Hope it performs well!

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Thank you for the update. I know it's early still, but do you notice any type of slower revving RPMs due to the introduction of the steel flywheel?

Honestly did not get on it, but i haven't driven the car in a month, so after driving my wifes 2V GT and getting back into the Cobra, to me it felt great! with the exception of the damn chatter. I hope it smooths out.

MG0h3

Established Member
Ive seen people post that they want 200 miles of city for break in. Just opened my 1200 and it says 500 miles. Thats 6 months of normal use for me.

Back to parking 1/4 mile away at walmart:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread