STeel flywheel=better high rpm shifting?

silvercoffin

Established Member
JDM told me today that a steel flywheel might help some of my shifting issues vs the aluminum one i have now. ANy opinions on that?

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
I just got a steel flywheel installed but I can't answer your question because I am still breaking in my clutch

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
Flywheel shouldn't really be a factor in shifting ability - that's basically just an issue of clutch disengagement. Your RPM's won't drop as fast between shifts with a steel one, but even with the aluminum one they don't drop fast enough to be a problem. You'll lose some RWHP through the steel one, but it will get out of the hole easier with less chance of bogging compared to the lighter aluminum one.

I'd go with aluminum with an interchangeable insert - less rotational mass, a bit more RWHP than steel.

silvercoffin

Established Member

I already have a new spec aluminum flywheel and clutch spec 2 and I had the 3+ before that. I also put in a new trans, adjuster, qudrant and new stock cable and its adjusted right...

i still cant shift fast at high rpms and im trying to decide what to do next.

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
Maybe try adjusting the angle of the clutch fork to give it more leverage / disengagement? I think I've heard of some people doing this and fixing shifting problems.

It may just be bad synchros in the tranny or bent shift forks?

Does it do it in every gear or?

silvercoffin

Established Member

I have a new RPM Transmission in the car and while I dont have much faith in their product after the first one they sent how made a clicking sound and had visable chips in the speedo gears, i dont think its the trans. It felt the same in my stock trans and in the 1st rpm trans they sent out.

Every gear is randomply sloppy but i think i just dont notice 2nd much at the track because its so easy to rip it into 2nd

I started noticing a real probably with 2nd gear bumping.. into gear on the street especially when cold...after the spec aluminum flywheel was first installed with my stock tranny. The problem stayed the same with both rpm trannys and after a new flywheel insert when I switched to a spec 2 clutch. (IM not talking about the usual FOrd sloppy shift this is different)

silvercoffin

Established Member

I called Spec and they said to give the new trans more time and maybe change the fluid in the trans. Spec said that they didnt think a steel flywheel would make a difference in shifting.

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
So is a steel flywheel better than an aluminum. I thought I heard that the aluminum ones are known for warping due to heat?

slo-poc

SKYNET 03
Established Member
alumn flywheel here....fidanza...with the changable friction plate...More street fights...than offical fights.......why I went with alumn...well, one of the reasons....

silvercoffin

Established Member

I tried a new shifter back when I had my stock trans and it did nothing..

Im only expecting my car to get down the quarter mile shifting like it did when it was new... it does have a new trans, new clutch, new cable, new everything should mean that it shifts like it used to you know?

If I cant fix it next season I am selling it because its embarassing to take it down the track now. I used to run 11s by accident when 12.0 was the rule without a roll bar. This season I ran 11.9...ONCE!

I am going to have a stock ford clutch and flywheel put back in in the spring and see what that does. Aside from some new MT DRs that it... IF it still doesnt work im selling it.

Users who are viewing this thread