Steeda Underdrive pulleys, I'm a little confused?????????

shabbyblue

Established Member
I want to buy the Steeda underdrive pulley set for my 97 cobra. http://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-underdrive-pulleys-701-0002/. Is this all I need to get to get the maxium horsepower or do I need to buy an extra part. I see with the March underdrive pulleys people were buying 4 parts with that set up, the pulleys and the damper. Do you have to do that with the Steeda set up? Here is what I'm talking about March Performance Fluid Dampened Harmonic Balancers 1158-08 - SummitRacing.com, March Performance Power Steering Pulleys 640-08 - SummitRacing.com, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mch-1172,March Performance Race Alternator Pulleys 116 - SummitRacing.com. It seems like the Steeda doesn't come with the Dampened Harmonic Balancer. I'm very new to the 4.6 engine so please excuse my rookie questions. Thanks

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
You can get just the crank pulley (i.e. Harmonic dampner) just by itself. The Steeda sells a kit with all of them. I would personally just get the crank pulley with the waterpump pulley. Stay away from Steeda. Get the march fluid one. Or a piggyback pulley set.

-Mark

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
I've got the Steeda set and it's been on there since 1998 and probably 50k miles. I might get a new set just because they're getting a little rusty and the newer style crank pulley seems much nicer.

shabbyblue

Established Member
Toy surprise I guess the car already has the Steeda set-up. 98 n/a 4v why are the Steeda pulleys so bad? I was reading through the site for a couple hours and seems like everyone or most people were recommend the Steeda pulleys over the piggy back style. I also saw a lot of people favoring the March also, but wondering about the Steeda because they are on car now.

brucesvt

Established Member
Honestly thru all my years on this forum,research and my own experience. Its hit or miss. because on my first cobra i had trouble with them, my brother has his pulleys on his car for yrs with no problems. i suggest if they are already on just keep them on and enjoy

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Toy surprise I guess the car already has the Steeda set-up. 98 n/a 4v why are the Steeda pulleys so bad? I was reading through the site for a couple hours and seems like everyone or most people were recommend the Steeda pulleys over the piggy back style. I also saw a lot of people favoring the March also, but wondering about the Steeda because they are on car now.

It's just an opinion but to reduce vibrations a crank needs weighted objects on both ends of it. One side has the flywheel/clutch the other the crank pulley. The issue with Steeda and similar pulley sets is that yes the crank pulley is smaller which reduces serpentine belt power losses and increases hp but since they are smaller they also weigh less and allow more vibration at the end the crank. And that's right where the oil pump is. So more vibration wreaks havoc on the cast oil pump gears.

Where as piggy backs do have the same size crank pulley as the steedas but piggies for their name still reuse the stock pulley/dampner at the end of the crank. Granted its 1" out farther away from the crank but it's better IMO having that extra weight on there than not having anything.

I've had piggy backs on my car for close to 15yrs. Spun the stock 4.6 to 7100 repeatedly and the 5.4 to now 7500. No oil pressure issues on either motor. I'm sure someone will chime in saying I'm wrong but I've read of oil pump failure using steeda or the like but never read one where piggy backs where the cause.

Take that for what it's worth.

Thanks.

-Mark

Last edited:

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Take a minute and read this OP. This kinda supports what 98 N/A 4V is trying to say.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/svt-dohc/1228923-u-d-pullies-opinions-professionals.html

Yep. I also commented in that thread. It's in there but I'll say it here to save people from searching. I was pitted next to Al Papito (aka Boss330) years ago at Bradenton Motorsports Park.

I had my hood opened and he and I were talking. He saw my piggy backs and said they were fine. Then he also added as long as you keep the rpms under 7k, your stock oil pump gears will be fine. He was right.

-Mark

Users who are viewing this thread