Steeda Ultra-lite Springs too bumpy, what's better?

PushingSpokes

Established Member
I've had the Steeda Ultra-lite springs on my car for a few months now with Tokico D-Spec shocks/struts and I'm not happy with the way the car rides. I consider myself an old man and would like to have a softer riding car. I have the Tokico's set at 5 turns counter-clockwise which is almost the softest setting.

The harsh ride comes in to play when I'm on the freeway and when the freeway is made of concrete. The bumps between the slabs of concrete make the car bounce back and forth. I can't stand it.

What's wrong with my set up?

Is it the 35 series tires on the 20" wheels? Should I be on 18's with a taller profile?

Is it the springs? Should I have gone with another brand? I see that many of you on here run the Eibach's.

I really need to fix this. It's driving me crazy. Any real first hand experience that you can share will be appreciated.

Thanks

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Bounching up and down is a damper problem not a spring problem. Your car is underdamped. So when you hit a bump and the system starts to oscillate the dampers and not controlling the movement of the springs well enough. Turn up the stiffness of the dampers a few turns first and give that a shot. If that still doesn't satisfy you then you need to find a different set of dampers.

F2kmech

Established Member
^^^what he said. If you still aren't happy my setup shocked me how the ride got better and more controlled than stock. I'm running Koni STR.T with FRPP K springs on 18" NT555's (275 front,285 rear). The Nittos have a softish sidewall that absorb the little bumps that help compliment the strut/springs. But the springs make the car sit low so FRPP P springs may do the trick.

racermatt

Established Member
As seank said, the springs should not cause bouncing, that would be the dampeners. As for your combination of Ultras and D-specs, this is arguably our best riding setup. I think you made need to tighten up your dampeners to help absorb the bumps. Being on the softest setting allows them to move up and down with the least resistance, which can give you that bounce feeling. Please let me know if I can help you if adjusting this does not fix it.

PushingSpokes

Established Member
did you cut the stock bump stops?

Ummm....I removed them and have the FRPP shortened ones sitting in the box waiting to be installed with everything else next weekend. Is this the problem?

Next weekend will be a big one I hope. As long as the DSS driveshaft shows up this week. We're planning on doing the following mods and if all this stuff doesn't fix the drivetrain issues then I'm done with this MFer and buying something else like a Prius.

-Eaton Truetrac
-3.31 Gears
-FRPP Bumpstops
-DSS Driveshaft
-BMR driveshaft loop
-Centerforce DYAD Twin disc clutch and flywheel
-ATE DOT4 fluid swap
-Redline MTL fluid change
-JHC Clutch line upgrade
-MGW Shifter
-GT500 clutch and brake pedal assembly

65sohc

Established Member
Lack of bumpstops isn't the problem. At least not yet. You'd have to hit a pretty hard bump and then you'd have metal to metal contact and think you broke something. My friend has BMR springs with stock dampers and 20 inch Sumitomo's on his '13 and it rides fine. I took a 200 mile trip with him to pick up my Boss and it was perfectly comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread