STEEDA Tri-Ax for 01 cobra (3650)

dark_cobra_01

Established Member
I just installed a Tri-Ax for the 3650..

Nice :thumbsup:

--> I'll Never get lost in the gears again..

-----------

This is my first ever performance shifter on any vehicle and wonder if you guys can give me an education on what to expect from this piece..

Shift sounds are now like a soft metal tap when going though all gears and I know the instructions say " More Gear noise is expected".. But is this the noise expected ?? . I think I maybe still hitting the stops with the bolt spacing at .030"+ instead of .020 .. ??

---------------

And one more thing unrelated... Are you guys experiencing throwout bearing sqeals constantly on the 01 cobra.. I just had one changed at a dealer and it started up again in 2 days.. It's so constant that I hear it over my engine all day with the top down.

Dealer maybe greased it and BS'd me with a story of replacing it..

DC01

therunyan

Established Member
Can't say what the tapping is if it isn't the stops, but to SUBSTANTIALLY [did I say that loud enough?] reduce the noise coming from the Tri-Ax: Take a piece of felt, dynamat or other thin, shock/sound absorbing material and cut a rectangle long enough to fit between the shift lever and the base piece (cut holes for the two bolts first). Trust me, that tiny little buffer between the two aluminium parts does wonders to reduce the gear whine and other noise. (And if you want to reduce it further, you can wrap the whole base with dynamat as well -- it gets covered up anyway).

Good luck!

poneypower

They call me Shipwreck!
Established Member
dude awsome! i got my Tri-Ax last Friday but no instructions! I called Steeda and they were like well it's pretty straightforward, do you really need them? whatever......anyway you want to copy them for me? :lol: J/K dude :rolling:

01 SN8K

Established Member
Originally posted by dark_cobra_01
I just installed a Tri-Ax for the 3650..

And one more thing unrelated... Are you guys experiencing throwout bearing sqeals constantly on the 01 cobra.. I just had one changed at a dealer and it started up again in 2 days.. It's so constant that I hear it over my engine all day with the top down.

Dealer maybe greased it and BS'd me with a story of replacing it..

DC01

I am experiencing problems with my throwout bearing as well. First time they replaced the bearing. Just two days after the bearing was replaced it went out again. This time they replaced the clutch and bearing. 200 miles later it went out again. This time Ford said it is a normal characteristic of the clutch :bash: . At this point I can't get Ford to fix the problem and have to listen to it every day. I asked Ford if it was a normal characteristic why didn't it make the noise for the first 10,000 miles after I bought the car and they couldn't give me a straight answer.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. The bearing noise is driving me crazy.

kfnichols

Established Member
What does the throw out bearing noise sound like? I am just curious because my 01 has about 18k on it and I do notice some sort of whine when I am at redlights, and was just wondering if it could be the same thing as you guys are experienceing.

01 SN8K

Established Member
Originally posted by kfnichols
What does the throw out bearing noise sound like? I am just curious because my 01 has about 18k on it and I do notice some sort of whine when I am at redlights, and was just wondering if it could be the same thing as you guys are experienceing.

I am not that good at explaining sounds but if the sound goes away when you push the clutch in it is probably the throwout bearing. Hope that helped.

dark_cobra_01

Established Member
wHOA... It's good to know that I'm not alone on this problem..

I was considering having another dealer have a look at it .. But it might be a waste of time..
:fm:

the worse part is not that I have the top down now and it's twice as loud..

ALso, I wonder if people with the bearing noise have a choppy shift into second when the transmission is cold ??? Maybe the transmission shaft is not aligned properly ?? (Just a wild guess)

therunyan

Established Member
On the "choppy" second when cold, I think that's fairly common. I have it to some degree (usually the first one or two times into second after it sits overnight). I seem to recall reading another thread on this topic, and was "happy" to learn others had the same issue.

kfnichols

Established Member
Originally posted by 01 SN8K
I am not that good at explaining sounds but if the sound goes away when you push the clutch in it is probably the throwout bearing. Hope that helped.

Thanks for the info, I do notice that there is a very mild whine that will go away when I push in the clutch. Hardly noiticable in less you are listning for it, I imagine the kind of noise you guys are experincing must be much worse than this. I still have another sound that is a little louder that I hear after the car has been running for a while. I am not that good at explaining sounds either but this one is kind of like a mild grind / whine which does not seem to be affected by the position of the clutch, all though come to think of it I only hear it when the vehicle is in neutral. Anyway at times I think I am listning a little too hard for strange sounds when I should be listning to the radio. Thanks for the input.

therunyan

Established Member
If you are hearing only a "whine" (anlogous to the sound you get in a more prounounced matter in revers) then it's just the Tri-ax telescoping the noise from the tranny. That fat rubber piece in the stock shifter, among other things, virtually eliminates any transmission noise so when you get rid of it in favor of the all-alumininum Tri-ax, you hear a good deal more gear noise (whine). Try my suggestion (putting some felt or dynamat between the shift lever and base, between the bolts) and see if it dosen't help!

dark_cobra_01

Established Member
I don't mind the whine from the gearbox either.. I think the whine everyone is trying to complain about (including myself) is the Throwout bearing .. This is just aggravating when everytime I pull up to a light I hear it and have to touch the clutch pedal to shut it up.. And when you come up the light just right THE PEDAL VIBRATES.

:rollseyes

DC01

Users who are viewing this thread