Steeda suspension mods on my '09 GT500

spectreman

Established Member
Steeda suspension mods on my '09 GT500
Finally got Steeda's sport springs & adjustable panhard bar installed today on the GT500, as well as some polyurethane bushings for the front & rear sway bars. Topped it off w/a set of camber bolts and a solid alignment job by my new, favorite, local shop & blammo, all done. Now I can breath a sigh of relief cuz it all came together perfectly and can say 'WOW.'

You know how it is w/mods sometimes. Hit or miss, right? I am always concerned about mods because, let's be honest, sometimes we think we want something but when we get it, it ain't what we thought it was gonna be. I'm that way w/suspension set-ups especially. Too tight and the car rides like a buckboard. Not enough & it gets sloppy really quick. Still, I tend believe in the 'less is more' strategy as I'm sure the Ford engineers put a lot of time & effort into designing the base systems, particularly for cars like this.

Yeah, I looked at lowering kits from a number of suspension shops and nearly fell for the BMR set-up- really like what they did w/that package, but in the end, I decided even that was just a touch more than I wanted to do. IMHO, the base suspension package on the GT500 is good enough for my daily driving pursuits and it really only needed to be tweaked a tad, not redesigned or rebuilt.

To be clear- no new: upper strut mounts, camber plates, jounce bumpers, end links, sway bars, lower control brackets or lower control arm relocation brackets- nothing but the parts I mentioned.

And I couldn't be more pleased w/the results. W/the Steeda sport springs, the car now sits perfectly, no more ridiculously oversized fender gaps. The OEM wheels fill the fender well like they were supposed to. The springs dropped it about 1.25" all around and the car just sits flat- beauteous.

The ride quality is astounding. You'll note I did not swap out the OEM struts or shocks. Yeah, yeah, I can hear you guys moaning about your Bilstein, Eibach, KYB and Koni shocks and what a difference they made and I can tell you that - for me- staying OEM worked out perfectly, especially w/the Steeda sport springs. The lowering springs offered me that flatter cornering I was looking for and the OEM struts/shocks still have the car riding like a Cadillac, perhaps even better than the OEM springs- don't ask me why but I think the suspension is actually more comfortable now. I can't feel any squat on take-off either.

Always a huge Steeda fan, my GT500's suspension is just perfect now!
Lee

24059316658_a076a7dd92_k.jpg

mikes35

Established Member
Looks great! Glad it worked out for you. I installed the Steeda lowering springs on my convertible in the rear and they’re great but every now and then I hit a bump and it’s quite harsh. I’m going to install the front springs this Winter. I also bought some Tokico d’s to help with the ride, another Winter project. I have 20” wheels so I’m sure that makes for a little rougher ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Many times stock struts and shocks don't last long with lowering springs. If ride quality goes south, you know what to do.

spectreman

Established Member
Many times stock struts and shocks don't last long with lowering springs. If ride quality goes south, you know what to do.

So I’ve been told repeatedly however that has not ever been my experience on my last three Stangs. If things go south, I’ll consider it but I figger I’ve got a few miles before I have to worry about it.
Lee

Users who are viewing this thread