Steeda Q 525

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
stangfreak said:
fourcammer knows his shit. he talked me out on going stroker for my cobra.

Yes he does. His opinion is well trusted in this forum. :beer:

MedVader

Established Member
broeli said:
Ford shoud've kept it simple and just put a stroked 351 in the Mustang similar to what Chevy has done with the Z06 (427ci) :) I'd LOVE to have a modern day 428 Cobra Jet Mustang (using a stroked 351 block). :D Just dreaming of what could've been

Why people think a 30+ year old Ford SB design is going to compete against modern Hemi and LSx stuff is beyond me.

So a 428(stroked 351) making what... 425hp and getting 9/12mpg. WOW.

Just be happy the mod motors are around to keep Ford in the game till Ford gets its modern RWD V8 design up and running.

blainestang

Established Member
MedVader said:
Why people think a 30+ year old Ford SB design is going to compete against modern Hemi and LSx stuff is beyond me.

So a 428(stroked 351) making what... 425hp and getting 9/12mpg. WOW.

Just be happy the mod motors are around to keep Ford in the game till Ford gets its modern RWD V8 design up and running.

Actually, a guy with a 408 (stroked 351) in 5.0 Mag's "King of the Street" competition just put down ~500whp while maintaining great driveability and getting 22mpg for the trip.

It can be done.

MedVader

Established Member
blainestang said:
Actually, a guy with a 408 (stroked 351) in 5.0 Mag's "King of the Street" competition just put down ~500whp while maintaining great driveability and getting 22mpg for the trip.

It can be done.

There's a difference between:

1) a custom "razor" tuned for 93+ octane, non FACTORY emissions certified race motor that doesn't need to be warrantied out.

and

2) a mass produced, safely tuned for all conditions, factory certified ULEV, 100K mile durability tested engine that can be warrantied out.

The balls out '95 351 Cobra R made .... 285hp? A factory 351W in 2006 might make 325hp if it's lucky.

GM and Chrysler had SB's that were every bit as good as a 5.0 or 5.8, but they still scrapped 'em to build all new modern design V8s.

Last edited:

72 fastback

Established Member
balls out 95 351? thats absurd.do you know anything about the car?
stroked 351 making 425 hp and 9 mpg?dude look at any current ford mag and you'll see what's really happening.windsor's do not need a blower to make power.the only thing going for these new motor's is the electronics.

broeli

Established Member
MedVader said:
There's a difference between:

1) a custom "razor" tuned for 93+ octane, non FACTORY emissions certified race motor that doesn't need to be warrantied out.

and

2) a mass produced, safely tuned for all conditions, factory certified ULEV, 100K mile durability tested engine that can be warrantied out.

The balls out '95 351 Cobra R made .... 285hp? A factory 351W in 2006 might make 325hp if it's lucky.

GM and Chrysler had SB's that were every bit as good as a 5.0 or 5.8, but they still scrapped 'em to build all new modern design V8s.

:rollseyes I'm guessing you don't build many engines.
You think the '95 R was balls out?? LOL.
9-12mpg?? Maybe if you were running a 4-speed Toploader or a C4 and winding it out. You REALLY don't think a stroked 351 backed with a 6-speed tranny wouldn't post pretty good mpg #'s?? Why not? Please explain your thinking.
The Z06 with its small block stroked out to 427 seems to make PLENTY of power AND get good gas mileage. On a 2100 mile trip a friend of mine got 26.8mpg (average for the whole trip) with his C6 Z06....I won't say what his average speed was either :)
My point is I would have loved it if Ford did something similar to the Mustang..I don't care if its an old based 351 or a new design..a 428 or Boss 429 Mustang based off a lightweight smallblock would be pretty neat.

Last edited:

rmgtc01

Established Member
I saw one of those on the turnpike on Sunday. An 04 GTO wanted to play with him, but he wasn't game. So I had to represent, and I did like a mofo.

MedVader

Established Member
72 fastback said:
balls out 95 351? thats absurd.do you know anything about the car?
stroked 351 making 425 hp and 9 mpg?dude look at any current ford mag and you'll see what's really happening.windsor's do not need a blower to make power.the only thing going for these new motor's is the electronics.

broeli said:
:rollseyes I'm guessing you don't build many engines.
You think the '95 R was balls out?? LOL.
9-12mpg?? Maybe if you were running a 4-speed Toploader or a C4 and winding it out. You REALLY don't think a stroked 351 backed with a 6-speed tranny wouldn't post pretty good mpg #'s?? Why not? Please explain your thinking.
The Z06 with its small block stroked out to 427 seems to make PLENTY of power AND get good gas mileage. On a 2100 mile trip a friend of mine got 26.8mpg (average for the whole trip) with his C6 Z06....I won't say what his average speed was either :)
My point is I would have loved it if Ford did something similar to the Mustang..I don't care if its an old based 351 or a new design..a 428 or Boss 429 Mustang based off a lightweight smallblock would be pretty neat.

You 2 bright boys don't seem to read too well. I just compared the differences between custom built and tuned hot street motor vs a reliable warrantied, 2006 factory emissions capable mass production motor with a safe fat tune for all environments. :bash:

For the latter(that means the second case for you two) the '95 Cobra R 351 WAS balls out FACTORY performance.

Then broeli goes and compares the ultimate version of LSx motor which first REPLACED the LT1 back when the 351 was last used in the mid 90s. Why'd Chevy go and do that? Sh*t they coulda used the original 427BB for the new Z06 :rollseyes Yeah that woulda gotten the same 505hp and 28mpg the LS7 does.

A FACTORY 351 that meets emissions, reliability, and drivability requirements of a 2006 car would be lucky to crank out 325hp and get low teens mpg

I doubt a factory 428 would make more than 400hp and barely break out of the single digit mpg on the freeway. :lol1:

72 fastback

Established Member
well my factory 03 cobra barely beat my f-350 4x4 v-10 mpg wise.when i drove it home i thought something was wrong.
where do you get the idea that the 95r was balls out?that thing was mild as a pussycat.small cam, intake, injectors.lighting shortblock.the car was built with low rpm intentions,the race teams could add the power later.just drop that one.

Users who are viewing this thread