Steeda Pullies, Talk me into these

SLOWBRA

Established Member
After some bad times with pullies on my 94 I am really hesitant to put pullies on my Cobra.

Give me some reasons for or against these!

Shawn

tms217

Established Member
You know I can't say ANYTHING bad about the Steeda Pullies. Going great with several thousand miles on them. No overheating or charging problems.... But you already knew that shawn...

SVT4POP

Established Member
BLACKSNAKE2001, ...

TMS217 is right on the money. The pullies are the cheapest most effective way to bolt on at least 8 to 10 extra horsies, and Steeda's are a quality product. I haven't had one moment of regret for the Steeda pullies I installed on my '99 Cobra.

Keep in mind, I live in the hot Southern Nevada desert and not once since I had the pullies installed has the engine temp. gauge gone beyond mid-point, nor have I experienced any problems with the electrical functionality of the car.

It's basically a low risk investment with some fairly decent high-end yields, ... and, if you for some reason feel the performance is less than you expect or want just swap them back out for the old ones.:idea: However, once you get them on, I doubt you'll be taking them back off.

Last edited:

StangD281

Established Member
How about the GT owners?? Any problems with them on the new GT's? I am in the same boat; someone please talk me into them.

SVT4POP

Established Member
StangD281, ...

Actually, as I write, my 25 year old son is removing his pullies from his 94 GT. His set up includes a high performance Edelbrock intake manifold, new C&L MAF with CAI ducting and K&N set up. He also has a ZEX nitrous system hooked up and new racing plug wires.

His reason for removing the pullies is his belief that his car is running warmer than it did before, (on the "m" in "normal" on the water temp gauge). Here in Southern Nevada in the heat of our summer when going without air conditioning is unthinkable, a car running warmer is not a good sign.

Others in a colder climate may have different experience.

Last edited:

StangD281

Established Member
Thanks for the info....I'm in PA where we have three hot months at best. His 5.0 may react differently than the 4.6s with Steeda pulleys. I've heard the good & the bad about pulleys in general, but I'd love to hear from the 99+ GT owners with them....Thanks though!

01svtcobra

Established Member
I live way down south, HOT & HUMID!! I have not had any charging or overheating problems. Have about 2000 miles on them. And they give a nice performance gain, they are really a no brainer!!!

YELL-OSNAKE

Established Member
Shawn, I have a '01 cobra, and have the pullies...I have no charging/overheating whatsoever. Just do me a favor for an experiment...go to www.yellowmustangregistry.com, click on the mustang links at the left...go to the mustang world tips and tricks, and look at the article...using your digital odometer for a digital temp, oil, voltage, etc. You can get real time digital readings on temp and voltage. THEN compare them to the readings you get after the pullies, and you could be the final judge...I wish I would have thought of this earlier...I'm not going to pull off my pullies to test, then put back on to re-test. Anyhow you will like the pullies.:beer:

YELL-OSNAKE

Established Member
P.S maybe it's the 5.0's that have the problems...I was like you and skeptical, after having real bad charging / occasional overheating on my 87 gt. Seems like the mod motor setup takes the steeda pullies well.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by YELL-OSNAKE
P.S maybe it's the 5.0's that have the problems...I was like you and skeptical, after having real bad charging / occasional overheating on my 87 gt. Seems like the mod motor setup takes the steeda pullies well.

Right on the money.....the 5.0's had charging and cooling problems to begin with, but the underdrive pullies just made it worse....I had to turn the idle up on my 95 gt when i put underdrives on it because the voltage went down too far at idle.

tms217

Established Member
I would stick with the Steeda... Theay are SCCA aproved I believe. I think also they are the only pullies allowed also. Anyone else know for sure?

Terry

YELL-OSNAKE

Established Member
Yeah, I would stick with the steeda pullies...they don't need to be piggybacked with the original pullies, like everyone else's does. the stock pully is a pulley/balancer, just as such steeda made their pully a pulley/balancer...it costs a little more to make, but it is in my opinon the "right part" to use. Also It's tried and trued by other people on this board, and everyone seems to like them.

Users who are viewing this thread