Steeda HE Install - Any Hints/Warnings?

Doc Vegas

Established Member
One of my X-mas gifts was a Steeda HE for my 2011 GT500 convertible. The install, though plug and play, looks pretty complicated. I have a friend coming over tomorrow to lend a hand. Any words of wisdom/warning before we tear into this project? Any links to threads showing the install would be particularly appreciated!

Thanks

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I run a Steede H/E great piece you'll love it. Just be mindful taking off the bumper.

tj@steeda

Established Member
Maybe this video will help you with the install:

[video=youtube;8d8CGBa8THs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d8CGBa8THs[/video]

Best Regards,

TJ

Last edited:

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Thanks guys, my buddy called in sick. He says he has a flu, I am thinking it is the brown bottle flu.... bummer. I could try it alone, but might wait until next week when he is available. I got three small kids at home, so wife is not much help...

Appreciating all the leads!

FORDMAN GT500

Established Member
I put a Steeda Triple pass HE for my 2011 GT500 and love it. Instal was easy killer quality and no more heat soak for me!!

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Worst part will be yanking on the fenders to get the push clips to release. Once your passed that it's pretty straight forward, might as well do the bigger reservoir while your at it. Cheap upgrade and holds more coolant which is a plus.

Doc Vegas

Established Member
F'n fan bolts not long enough

Both me and my friend, both reasonable with wrenching, are dumbfounded by trying to get the fans onto the HE. Unlike the video, but HE came with the fans NOT attached. The bolts are not long enough and the washers seem to be pressed onto the bolts. Any ideas???? This sucks. We have been trying to figure this out for 30+ minutes. Desperate here. :mj:

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Got different bolts at the hardware store - back in business - except the HE is hitting the subframe.... Maybe a dremel? The HE is made in Indonesia, maybe there precision is not ideal? So far, this thing sucks.....

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Both me and my friend, both reasonable with wrenching, are dumbfounded by trying to get the fans onto the HE. Unlike the video, but HE came with the fans NOT attached. The bolts are not long enough and the washers seem to be pressed onto the bolts. Any ideas???? This sucks. We have been trying to figure this out for 30+ minutes. Desperate here. :mj:

The bolts for my Steeda fans were too short also with the pressed on washers. I searched the net and found other people who had the same problem, like this one:
http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-steeda-triple-pass-heat-exchanger-wtf-2.html

Here is Tim's response to that thread:
Hello,

I am sorry you are having issues with the heat exchanger & parts supplied. We have installed this unit on several of our cars without issue.
Please send me your information to [email protected] & I can put you in contact with one of our installers to help with your issues.

Best Regards,

TJ

I then contacted Tim Beeber at Steeda and asked why they have never fixed the problem by sending the correct length bolts. I even sent him the pictures of the bolts I received.

Here is his email reply:
Thank you for reaching out & providing your feedback.
We have tracked the bolts & it seems to be on rare occasion ... the bolts don't fit ... we have sold many more of these heat exchangers without issue.
Because of our install & knowing the bolts that we installed worked, we stayed with this approached.
Now, with that being said, because of your email, we are going to include a longer set of bolts in each order to diminish any install issues.

I do not understand why Steeda refuses to correct this issue. :nono:

yxTUoBV.jpg

vETAWBJ.jpg

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Wow, no sh*t

Your post above is EXACTLY my situation too. This is ridiculous. I am super pissed right now. I had a friend come over and I live too far away from most places that have the right parts. What a waste of time today. The thing also did not fit great between the subframe. I had to take off all the shrouds, is that common? The instruction video only shows some of it coming off, I had to take all the plastic out to get it to almost fit correctly (still tweaked a bit).

TJ sent me a nearly identical PM today saying he would talk to the installers. Sounds like a systemic issue that someone is too cheap or lazy to fix. I look forward to Steeda to respond, this is B.S.

Did you guys put the shrouds back in place? If so, HOW?????

THanks

Booky

Established Member
Your post above is EXACTLY my situation too. This is ridiculous. I am super pissed right now. I had a friend come over and I live too far away from most places that have the right parts. What a waste of time today. The thing also did not fit great between the subframe. I had to take off all the shrouds, is that common? The instruction video only shows some of it coming off, I had to take all the plastic out to get it to almost fit correctly (still tweaked a bit).

TJ sent me a nearly identical PM today saying he would talk to the installers. Sounds like a systemic issue that someone is too cheap or lazy to fix. I look forward to Steeda to respond, this is B.S.

Did you guys put the shrouds back in place? If so, HOW?????

THanks

When I had my new Cervini hood painted at the end of December I decided to go ahead and have the shop install the HE at the same time so I could have it all done before spring.
I think they had to trim the shrouds.

Here is a good DIY HE installation. See #23 for reference on triming:
http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54146&highlight=exchanger

Good Luck

Doc Vegas

Established Member
I spoke to Steeda and they told me that I bought mine when there were transitioning from vendors. Not sure if on the fans or on the core. Either way, I hope mine is OK. I had to rig it up with some bolts from a local hardware store. I also note that the installation instructions are pretty thin on details. So many times I had to google to figure out how to get this thing installed.

Been a week now, still not together. Right now, I am trying to figure out how to mount the fuse connectors on to the fuse box bolts. Instructions show two bolts holding the factory fuse box to the car.... my 2011 has just one. What to do???

Thanks

SirShaun

Established Member
Damn, thanks for the thread. I was really considering the Steeda HE. After the troubles you are having, I'll just plan on getting a different brand.

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Well, I am hopeful. It is now installed. Just trying to figure out how to gather up the piles of wires in front of the radiator so they will not be flopping around at 150 MPH!

Also, I remember when I was reading a debate on here about the HE's, there was a question of where the cores came from. For the record, mine (the Steeda) says CSF Indonesia on the bottom. I hope that's OK :cryying:.

I also STRONGLY recommend you have a dremel and a drill handy to install this thing. The outlets do not match up with the factory plastic around the radiator. I had to cut out two areas where the hoses go through as the alignment was way too far off.

If I had to to it over again.... not sure which brand, but I would ABSOLUTELY pay someone to do this.... WAY to much time and effort for me..... I hope it works. :??:

Booky

Established Member
Make sure you get all the air out of the system and you can see the fluid flowing in the reservoir.

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Make sure you get all the air out of the system and you can see the fluid flowing in the reservoir.

Yep, thanks to the good folks here, like you, I did that successfully. It was interesting that even though I tried to do this (using an air compressor and my hand over the opening), it did not work without the engine running. Once I fired up the motor, it was still not circulating. Another blast of air and BOOM it kicked in big time. Could see some of the old fluid coming out. Needed another liter of coolant/water. Thanks

Doc Vegas

Established Member
GUYS - just curious - do the fans run all the time? I had assumed they would be tied to a themostat and kick on at a given temperature.... no? They are pretty loud. Sounds like a jet ready to take off when you are standing in front o fthe car at idle....

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Crap - extra parts....???

Are these parts anything important? I found them at the end of the install, before putting on the bumper, but I could not figure out where they belonged.... help

radiator parts unknown.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread