Steeda HD Mounts/Koni Help

Night-Mare

Established Member
Hey guys,

I took advantage of the nice weather today and decided to install my 2011+ Koni Yellows and Steeda HD mounts. I am hoping that yall can help provide me with some clarification because the instructions seemed to say different things between the Koni instructions and the Steeda.

How in the world did you tighten the top strut nut? I tightened it with a socket and ratchet to snug but if I tried going any tighter than that the HD strut mount started to spin (even when bolted up and under load). I kept it like it was because I didnt want to damage anything. Going down the road I don't get any squeaks, pops, or rattles. I just want to ensure that I tighten that nut down enough and it doesn't back out on me. The Koni instructions say to use a small 10mm wrench to hold the top of the strut, while you tighten the nut but with the Steeda HD mounts, the nut is recessed and doesnt make this possible. For those of you that managed this, how did you get it handled?

Grant808

Established Member
You can use an 02 sensor socket or any deep socket with an outer hex. I think the same size spark plug socket would work. Hold the hex with a crescent wrench. Then stick the 10mm 1/4" drive inside that to hold the hex nut.

Worked for me. Let me know if I'm not explaining it well.

Snake40

Established Member
I just did my Koni install last weekend. No one carried a socket or crows foot locally that would work so intially we used an impact then we cut a socket to a shallow depth to allow the 10 mm wrench to work and welded a 3" extension to the socket to accept torque wrench. Worked like a dream.
You'll love the Konis!
PM me if you need more info.
Mike

Last edited:

Night-Mare

Established Member
That sounds like a great idea. I'm scared to spin it too much after spending so much cash on all that stuff. Next up is are the sway bars and watts link. I opened the hardware box to the sways and saw a big bag of bolts and about 10 bushings and decided to tackle that another day lol.

Snake40

Established Member
Maybe you could let the alignment shop tighten them for you.
Were not too far apart. I bought my car in Benton lol

Night-Mare

Established Member
Oh we are very far apart, I just haven't updates my profile. I live in Germany now lol.

I'll do something to the effect of what you did to make sure I have it torqued to koni's 14mm spec (59 ft lbs I believe). Going to be interesting because I'll have to secure both the 10mm on the strut and the huge one on the steeds mount while I torque down the main nut. Gonna have to grab a buddy for this one

Snake40

Established Member
I'll get you a pic of the tool I made. PM your email address so I can email the pic. With the tool we made its a one man affair.

SoFlaBoss

Established Member
I'll get you a pic of the tool I made. PM your email address so I can email the pic. With the tool we made its a one man affair.

Could you send me that picture too if I PM you my e-mail? I'll be installing koni yellows, steeda sport springs and steeda hd mounts very soon on my 2013. tia -Steve

Users who are viewing this thread