Steeda Cobra IRS subframe braket kit Q's

Cobra84

Established Member
Alright so my Cobra seems to have a lil bit of wheel hop and i have most of the aftermarket bushings installed already. ( IRS, 6-spd ,500rwhp) I have searched many threads and either people arn't listing that they have this mod or they arn't using it. Whats anyone's opinion on buying and installing this mod?

Link-http://steeda.com/products/cobra_irs_subframe_bracket.php

555-5405
Steeda Cobra IRS Subframe Bracket Kit - '99-'04 $34.95

Product Details
Steeda's IRS Subframe bracket kit provides an immediate improvement in handling and eliminates flexing of the IRS subframe mounting bracket.
The rear suspension subframe of the 99-04 Cobra attaches to the car via a cantilevered bracket. The outer half of this bracket is completely unsupported and flexes significantly, leading to less predictable handling as the entire rear suspension system shifts under the car. Steeda's support kit reinforces the bracket and eliminates flexing. Overall handling and responsiveness is improved, and wheel hop is reduced.

The support welds to subframe bracket and bolts to the inner fender well with the supplied hardware.

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
That kit is bullshit. It welds to the outer section of subframe and bolts into thin/weak sheet metal on the car. I wouldn't install that kit.

Get a good set of tires and don't worry.

My car is at almost 600RWHP. I have 275 Nitto's with no wheel hop.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
I agree, the kit really seems like a band aid. What you really need to improve the IRS is Bruce's (AC427) Delrin IRS kit. Otherwise some sticky tires/ sub frame connectors and an IRS brace appear to be a decent inexpensive approach....

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
Another thing....check out the 12mm vs. 14mm vs. 9/6" front IRS bolt thread. It's on the top page in Talk. I just installed 14mm bolts which fill in the 2mm that Ford effed up on. Car seems to ride tighter and come out from a red light straighter. It's a cheap/free mod pretty much.

Cobra84

Established Member
Thanks. I am actually in the process of ordering the 14 mm bolts. My tuner was telling me that Ford should've had the 14 mm in stock.

Cobra84

Established Member
Alright i am putting this question out there after i viewed AC427s post on the kit. After having my car on the lift we noticed that there was already some bushing work done. So this is the list i was given: Item Quantity Description Rate Amount
IRS Brackets 1 BF-IRSBRACKETS - BilletFlow IRS Subframe bracket kit 58.00 58.00
MM Subframe 1 MMIRSU-1 - MM Urethane Subframe bushing kit 50.00 50.00
MM Differential 1 MMIRSB-45 - MM Urethane differential bushing kit 50.00 50.00
MM 14mm bolt kit 1 MMF-14mm - 14mm bolt and nut kit to replace 12mm bolts 15.00 15.00
MM Low profile 1 MMF-1 - MM low profile bolt kit (2 bolts)

This IRS thing is totally new to me. Does the AC427 kit have individual bushings that are in the listing i have?

Anyone reading is okay to assume that i have all of the bushings not listed already aftermarked with a IRS brace as well

Last edited:

YGETV8

Established Member
FWIW, I made a bracket kit similar to the above for about $10. Yes, it bolts through sheet metal, but it is thick sheet metal! As I understand it, this was actually developed by someone pretty damn knowledgeable about our set ups, and Steeda now markets them. Got that, cut stock springs and NO wheel hop.

Cobra84

Established Member
FWIW, I made a bracket kit similar to the above for about $10. Yes, it bolts through sheet metal, but it is thick sheet metal! As I understand it, this was actually developed by someone pretty damn knowledgeable about our set ups, and Steeda now markets them. Got that, cut stock springs and NO wheel hop.

On a side note- what is that tire/rim combo your car sits on and what was involved in making everything work?

Users who are viewing this thread