Steeda Cobra Differential Bushings

Mach0ne351

Established Member
hey all
are the steeda differential bushing worth it? easy to install? any install instructions online? i want to help my cobra from wheel hop on the strip. thanks guys...

-marek

SVT4POP

Established Member
Hey mtp166, ... You're in luck!

Just so happens I had the Steeda differential bushings put in today along with adding a FMS 4.10 gear to my '99 Cobra.

It may be to soon to tell, but just driving it around town and after "stretching" the new gears to get used to them I seem to feel the ride has less "bounce" in leaving from a standstill or at a low roll. The install was inconsequential because the gear mechanism needed to be accessed anyway so it was a piece of cake for the mechanic.

I couldn't tell you, however, what the level of effort is to just install the bushings by themselves.

I am hearing from some mechanic types that there's an additional step one can take to control the wheel-hop associated with IRS rear ends. Apparently there is a lower rear control arm that has bushings (4 to a side, 8 total) that may be upgradeable with urethane or plastic type materials that are more rigid than the stock rubber ones. I just don't know yet who markets them. :shrug:

If anyone reading this thread has better intelligence on this matter please contribute!:idea:

SVT4POP

Established Member
mtp166, ... chapter two

It's possible Steeda techs can give you some reliable info, I found them very helpful. If you need additional info, just drop a line or a post.

Last edited:

Mach0ne351

Established Member
hey man
ok great. so the ride is better, and you can tell the difference....hmmm sounds like a pretty good investment for only $40. by the way, how are your gears? i am wanting to get 4.10 gears. big difference? how much? where u get em? gears, and a densecharger are my next upgrades. thanks man....

-marek

SVT4POP

Established Member
mpt166, ...

The ride is great so far. :rolling: I got the bushings and the gears by phone to Steeda's 800 number. They were great to work with and I was willing to pay a little extra to get second day delivery.

BTW, it's important that you talk to your mechanic unless you're doing the gear install yourself, to remember that if you're changing from the factory gear setup (3.27 gear) to a 4.10 it's considered a half step and you are likely to need some special shims to compensate for the "bump" in the settings. If you were only going a 1/4 change to 3.73 gears I believe the current shims can be used.

Make no mistake, doing gears on an IRS equipped car is not a walk in the park. It's not impossible either, but better if you have some way of getting the car far and safely enough off the ground to drop the "pumpkin". My Ford Factory trained mechanic who's out in his own business did the job in about 4.5 hours, bushings included and with my old gears in trade only charged me $330.

I will need to get a speed compensator for the odometer/speedometer calibration with the 4.10's as I want the mileage read outs to be accurate ... you should think about that also. It can be added after the installation or at the time of it, ... suit yourself.

Bottom Line: At one time I was seriously considering going with 3.73's then I took a ride in a buddy's '99 Cobra in which he'd had 4.30's installed. I was pleasantly surprised at the "grab" of the gears, plus, he did a launch from standstill and I could not notice any appreciable wheel-hop, ... go figure, ... and all he had installed were Steeda differential bushings and some lowering (Eibach) springs at the rear wheel.

Good luck, post back if there's anything else I can help with.

Last edited:

kwiksnake

Established Member
If you order the Steeda bushings, they come with detailed instructions in the box. I put them and the IRS brqace in at the same time, but wheel hop would still occur above 4500 rpm. I just put H&R springs and Bilstein shocks in and now I have dumped the clutch at 6000 rpm with no hop at all. Seems the cmbination of it all isd the way to go.

tms217

Established Member
The only way to get rid of all hop is to change to stiffer springs... I have not heard of anything else that works as good.

Terry

ZincYellowCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by kwiksnake
If you order the Steeda bushings, they come with detailed instructions in the box. I put them and the IRS brqace in at the same time, but wheel hop would still occur above 4500 rpm. I just put H&R springs and Bilstein shocks in and now I have dumped the clutch at 6000 rpm with no hop at all. Seems the cmbination of it all isd the way to go.

No wheel hop at all? I am impressed - I am just now addressing the wheel hop in my '01. I bought the Steeda bushings (not installed yet).. What IRS brace did you buy? I Have seen Steeda's, Kenny Brown's and the Ford IRS brace for the '03 Cobras. Which one is best?!

SVT4POP

Established Member
ZincYellowCobra ...

There is also a brace made by Paul's High Performance Racing. They all look pretty similar to the FRPP 500 Cross Brace (Part # M-5030 #4 HD). The price runs about $175.00 plus shipping.

I'm not sure you can go to far wrong with any of the vendors, however, I do know that when I called STEEDA (Justin was great to work with) that they were severely back-ordered, soooo, I called the Ford Racing Parts Counter at my local Ford Dealer and got them to find it (in Michigan) and paid about $40.00 to have them overnight it for next day delivery. It's a little more expensive, but I was having my driver side motor mount reworked and decided while the K-frame was down to install BBK's progressive spring set along with the rear "IRS Pinion Support Brace" detailed above.

So far, it seems to track better and really grabs. We'll see how it does with 285 x 17 Nitto DR's added. I likely will also take the suggestion to go with the Bilstein Shocks. Anyone know a reliable source? (Steeda, Laurel Mountain, Summit, Brothers ???):coolman:

Last edited:

ZincYellowCobra

Established Member
Thanks for the info... there are so many brands out there - it makes it hard to make a decision!

Have you or anyone else ever dealt with Ford Parts Network? They have the Bilstein shocks/struts that are on the '03 Cobras, as well as the '03 IRS brace..... The shocks/struts are $199/set and the IRS brace is only $79.99. Seems low - but I love to save money. Has anyone ever ordered from them before?

http://www.fordpartsnetwork.com/03Cobra.htm

SLOWBRA

Established Member
I've not heard of anyone actually putting them (the 03 suspension) on thier cars yet. I am sure someone has. I picked the 00 dampners to match the springs of the 00 as well. That is part of the key to help reduce hop

I have the 00 Suspension stuff and I must say it has helped the HOP tremendously. I also have the PHP brace and Steeda Bushings.

You can gett rid of it completely, but it takes more than just dampners and springs with our IRS. Joe Lynch is the guru on these and he has documented everything. Traction is the key to ridding the hop with the IRS. With that you will need better axles etc. Also, folks go with Griggs Control Arm bushings and some sort of IRS "Mount Bushings" not sure what you call them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread