Steeda cai vs stock air box

twayne8403

Established Member
I have a 2012 mustang gt auto and I made a pass with the steeda cai and then installed the stock air box and made another pass. Mods VMP tune, o/r x, magnaflow catback, 4.10s and mt st 2.
I ran 11.83 at 117 with the steeda cai and stock air box.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

REPCobra10

Established Member
That's interesting. I have heard a lot of people claim that the stock airbox flows damn good from the factory and that it's hard to improve upon it with an aftermarket intake. You seem to have added to those claims. Post those timeslips when you get a chance...:beer:

twayne8403

Established Member
I will when I get home from work. I don't think a cai is worth the money.

LS2GTO

Established Member
Was the VMP tune done for the stock airbox or the steeda cai?

If for example you have a tune setup for the stock airbox and then you put on the steeda cai without upating the tune, well the benefits of the new intake will probably be offset by the tune not being optimized for that airflow. So even though the new intake might allow more airflow, your AFR is not probably a good bit leaner thus making about the same power.

racermatt

Established Member
Like LS2GTO said, what was the tune for? If you ran a Tune for stock airbox with our CAI, you would get a DTC.

Tell you what. I will write you a tune for the Stock box and a tune for our CAI, both optimized for the application, and then go run back to back passes.

twayne8403

Established Member
Yes I do have a tune for the stock air box and steeda

Last edited:

twayne8403

Established Member
My first pass was a 11.82 at 119 "stock air box". I let the car cool and then i Installed the steeda cai and retuned the car. Ran 11.83 @ 117. Immediately swapped back to the stock air box reflashed pcm. Then I ran 11.83 @ 117. Both tunes are from VMP.

r2kool4u

Blah Blah
Established Member
I think nowadays intakes are more for sound unless you are running ported heads, cams, and a bunch of breathing mods.

Stupidity brought to you by Tapatalk

REPCobra10

Established Member
Seeing as you trapped 2-mph higher with the stock air box versus the aftermarket intake, with a specific tune for each, I'm definitely impressed and interested...:beer:

twayne8403

Established Member
e8uqeseh.jpg

strats03svt

GOT FAST?
Established Member
I installed my Steeda CAI and went to intall a tune but my tuner wouldn't work.I decided to drive home but didn't think it would run.It ran perfect with the cai and stock tune.I didn't beat on it in fear of blowing it up,but driveability was spot on and no cel.
recently added the SCT canned tune and it drives like $hit.It lurches and lunges.Worse when cold.But no cel.
I think with the correct tune,it should run better with good CAI tune.Curious to see your results with another tune maybe.

twayne8403

Established Member
I have a JMS tune for the cai and stock air box and they both run very close at the track. I just love how the trans shifts with VMP. That's normal for you car to buck with the cammed tune.

Users who are viewing this thread