Steeda 13" rear brake kit

'14 Shelby

Established Member
I was showing a good friend my new ride this past weekend and when he got out of the car to look it over he pointed at the rear brakes and laughed "look how small they are" I laughed too but got me thinking.

I have the 14" Brembo's up front. the rears are only 11" (and change) i believe. Why they aren't Brembos too (like the Camaros!) I dont know.
The kit is about $500 something. is the extra 2 inches of rotor worth it with the rear handling about 25% to 30% of the overall stopping? Although I wouldnt buy them solely for looks, they would look a bit better too :rolling:

Anyone familiar with this? Thoughts

Last edited:

mycroft

Established Member
Why they aren't Brembos too (like the Camaros!) I dont know.

Difference between a floating and a fixed caliper. You can't use a fixed caliper (Brembo) on a solid rear axle. 2015 (with IRS) will probably be runing 4/4 or 6/4 Brembos all around.

Given the amount of work that the rear brakes do, the 13" disc upgrade is mostly just cosmetic. Nothing wrong with that though.

BUCKET

Established Member
I have debated on doing 13 or 14" two piece setup on rear of mine as well. I think I am don't with the idea of running 15s. Before doing the brakes been looking for side by side comparison of going to two piece front and 13-14" rear two piece over stock.

378wby

Established Member
I went with the roush trak pack front brakes on my 2012 Mustang GT

Mustang Trak Pak High Performance Brake Kit (2005-2014)

For the rears I went with the Steeda rear brake upgrade kit

Steeda 2005-14 Mustang 13" Rear Brake Upgrade Kit 555-6007 555-6009

I have been really happy with the combination. Granted the majority of the stopping power is at the front wheels, the Roush kit is probably a bit overkill for my needs but it stops on a dime. Cosmetically speaking the rears look better as they fill out the wheel a bit more.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
Difference between a floating and a fixed caliper. You can't use a fixed caliper (Brembo) on a solid rear axle. 2015 (with IRS) will probably be runing 4/4 or 6/4 Brembos all around.

Given the amount of work that the rear brakes do, the 13" disc upgrade is mostly just cosmetic. Nothing wrong with that though.

excellent post, did not know that

Users who are viewing this thread