Stealthy V-1 Mounting...?

akula51

Me
Established Member
So, uh... Has anyone come up with a creative way to mount their V-1 in some sort of stealth mode so it's not as visible? I use my CDU inside my gague cluster with the V-1 mounted up near my rearview in the Honda, but with the little ceramic dots this won't work in the Terminator. I normally run with it front and center right in front of my eyes since I don't like a having to look up/down/around to see where it's picking up a radar emission.

It just feels like such a sore thumb begging for LEO attention when the top is down. I'm thinking of fabricating some sort of gague-looking like bulge so it can sit on the dash and not look like what it is. Knowing a little about LOS, I like having it as high as possible...but keeping it under wraps is somewhat key due to a temporary change in residence.

Any thoughts?

Ack

Matt M PA

Established Member
I installed mine high on the windshield on the driver's side. More on that in a sec. I also used their remote display mounted in the console...so the main display stays dark.

For starters, I ran a phone line extension cord from the center of the windshield to the wiring box that the V1s come with. This extension has a small box at the end, which you can plug the V1 into. I also made up a very short pigtail about 3" long so that if you remove the V1, you can take the short wire with the V1, and leave the little extension "box" taped to the windshield. 3M molding tape works great.

To keep the V1 as high as possible, I cut a piece of plexiglass (actually a license plate cover) and taped it to the top of the windshield. The V1 suction cups will not stick to the matrix stuff on the glass...but they stick like mad to the plexiglass. This also allows the unit to be mounted very high with a clear view out both front and rear glass. It's almost invisible from the outside as the matrix pattern hides it. Plus, it "sees" out from just below the matrix pattern so range should not be affected.

V1ScanGauge.jpg

V1Terminator.jpg

Homebrew

Established Member
I had been tossing around the idea of making a small pod out of fiberglass and attaching it to the ceiling. I had planned to use slightly tinted plexiglass on the front and rear of the pod to keep the V1 inside hidden from the naked eye. However I didn't even think about the dots on the windshield. I'm not super knowledgeable about radar detectors having never owned one, but I was interested in getting a V1 if I could more permanently mount and conceal it. Looks like it's back to the drawing board on that front.

-Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread