Stealth operations

Venom Lover

Established Member
I'm loving the "stealth operations" aspect of the '03 Cobra, as I know some of you are.

Driving the car yesterday on Pacific Coast Highway, I came upon some work-of-art ricemobile with wild green paint (definitely not a color offered as OE from Honda I will guess ;-) ), wings, stickers, fart can, etc. Apparently it had some sort of turbo on it because you could hear it spooling and the wastegate "popping". Anyway, when this guy sees me he gets all agitated and starts revving and lurching (to no avail since he's got a car in front of him). Meanwhile my lane is wide open, and since he's making me nervous, I floor it in 2nd and immediately shoot ahead 3 car lengths. Not a kill since he was blocked -- just better to be in front of this moron before he crashes into my new Cobra. In the rearview mirror I saw this stunned look on his face like "I didn't know V6 mustangs were that fast". :bash:

Earlier in the day, I was on Hawthorne Blvd and I wound up at a stoplight next to some 750 cc sport bike. I look over and the guy gives me a thumbs up. So at least he realizes it's not a V6. :) So, when the light goes green we both take off normally but then we both get on it a little harder. Finally I say "f*** it" and nail it and shift into 2nd at around 6000 rpm with a lovely chirp of the tires. Note: the owner's manual didn't say not to go to 6000 rpm with 100 mi on the odo, it just says "vary the speed for the first 1000 miles", and so I was varying the speed! Anyway, it was obvious that by the time the sport bike guy realized I was going for it, he was caught the wrong gear or something, because he didn't pull on me until I let off because we were already going 60 something mph.... You could tell he was a little annoyed that he couldn't pull on me, though. You know, kept looking over with this expression like "what is that Mustang still doing right there????" :bash:

Stealth operations is one thing I will miss once my catback system goes on, but we all must make sacrifices!

SVTyballz

Established Member
Cool, isn't it??? My catback should be here tommorrow and on tommorrw night. Hope it doesn't overpower that wunnerful blower whine! BTW, if you take off that silencer, change to a K&N, trim that hood blanket, and take out those flaps on the vents, the engine sounds SWEETER! Have fun!!!! Congrats on the new addition.

gary

PS: A Viper AND a Cobra?? Two cars in my imaginary 20 car dream garage. Ok for now you are winning. hehehehe

ZXnVS

Established Member
Don't get me wrong, I'm on '03 owner, too, but I wouldn't recommend racing many sportbikes. You'll have your a$$ handed to you.

My six-year-old ZX-11 makes 150 horsepower (stock) and weighs 600 pounds. Do the math and you'll see the power-to-weight ratio is almost twice that of the Cobra, even including my weight as the rider. The newer sportbikes make the same power and weigh even less. With an excellent rider, modern sportbikes go 0-60 in under 3 seconds. That's not a typo.

But don't feel bad, any car other than a Cobra has maybe a third of the P/W ratio!

Weasel

Established Member
You're right ZXnVS. I have a GSXR750 and remember the first time I got on it in 1st or 2nd, I could feel the blood in my head move from the front to the back. Intense.

Weasel

Last edited:

Mowgli

Established Member
The 94 zx-11 makes 145 hp and weighs 540lbs.

At least mine does.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread