Staying under warranty + trying to make more power (FR tune, Track Key, etc?)

matt5058

Established Member
I'm sure the issue of trying to make more power while staying under warranty has been discussed countless times but I just wanted to see what people's experiences have been in terms of options like the Track Key or a Ford Racing tune done by an authorized dealer. My 2014 GT is stock except for Roush axle backs and for now I just want to do a few small changes (tint, lowering springs or coilovers, new wheels, short shifter, and maybe a few more suspension mods) but don't want to do anything yet to jeopardize the drivetrain/engine.

I read a little bit about the Track Key and that seems like a pretty cool option for racing and what not but I also saw that some people were having trouble with codes and what not after having it installed. I'm still interested in learning more about this but want to do my research before I buy anything.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but it seems as though the best first mod to do on these 5.0 Stangs to make some better power, is a tune, since most bolt ons apparently don't offer many gains without the right tune. Has anyone had a Ford Racing tune done by Ford on an otherwise stock car? Is it worth the cost of the tuner (I'm assuming you need to buy one?) and labor/installation?

Thanks for input and sorry if this is a "beating the dead horse" thread...I just want to get specific feedback regarding the benefits of a FR tune or Track Key on a car that is pretty much stock and under warranty. :rolling:

Thanks.

Cheers

draxxus131

Established Member
You can apparently get in the 10's with literally everything from FR w/o the supercharger, although the only time I have read/seen this happen was here at (SVTP). Can't recall the s/n but he showed time slips and everything, even a picture of him doing a slight wheelie. It was pretty awesome! But back to what you were saying, yes! Doing all the mods with a tune (thorough tune) will enhance what is already there or what you want to be there. Try not to focus on the numbers as you go along, if you decide to "dyno" the vehicle sooner or later.

One last thing......Driver Mod.

Funny5.0

Established Member
But back to what you were saying, yes! Doing all the mods with a tune (thorough tune) will enhance what is already there or what you want to be there. Try not to focus on the numbers as you go along, if you decide to "dyno" the vehicle sooner or later.

One last thing......Driver Mod.

Did you not read the op's question?

henchgt

Established Member
I just installed the procal on my '12. Better acceleration and throttle lag is reduced quite a bit. Since you have a '14, i recommend you get that track key. I hear very good things about it.

ebrow21

Established Member
When I only had the procal, it gained 10whp/10ft.lb all the way across the board on the dyno, with bigger gains in the low rpm range. No CEL or other issues. The track key was not offered for my year model, so I don't have input there.

matt5058

Established Member
I am definitely on board with the driver mod comment. I'd like to get plenty of seat time with the car close to stock before I starting throwing money at it. I do plan to do some autocross, hit the drag strip, and maybe some road racing if the opportunities are there, and I can swing it financially. I would also like to put the car on the dyno in stock form so that I can track gains as I make modifications. I guess I'm just trying to see what my tuning options are in stock or close to stock form so that I can make gains that are worth the cost and not risk voiding the warranty (for now at least, this is my first brand new car, and currently my only vehicle).

ebrow21, who did you order the procal from? Did you do it yourself or have a shop do that?

henchgt, do you have any other mods besides the procal?

I'm definitely interested in the Track Key but I want to learn more about that, as well as the procal tuning. My car only has about 850 miles on it right now and though I have read these engines don't need a break in really, I'd still like to get to 1,000 miles or more before I do any tuning or other engine mods.

Funny5.0

Established Member
The FRPP tune can be hit or miss from my personal experience and what many have posted on the internet.
Many have reported decent results with track performance and how the way the car feels. I have personally seen the FRPP tune installed on 3 cars with mine being one of them. All 3 pinged (loud enough to hear) When this happens timing is being pulled, performance is being lost and engine damage is occurring.
Also keep in mind FRPP tune warranties are good for 3/36 and not 5/60.

matt5058

Established Member
Isn't the warranty on the Track Key the same as the FRPP tune? The 3/36 as well?

CobraJohn01

Established Member
As someone on the verge of purchasing the Track Key for my 2014, I have been following a few threads closely. Here are a few facts about it that might help make your decision:

1.) The Track Key is basically the same tune as the ProCal, with the addition of launch control, a pit lane speed control feature and enhanced engine braking.

2.) Ford recommends using an oil separator when running the Track Key to eliminate the pinging issue.

3.) The ProCal, Track Key and Track Cal all have a 3yr/36k power train warranty from FRPP. In order to get that warranty, your tune MUST be installed by a dealer. If you buy the ProCal/TrackCal and do it yourself or an independent shop, you will NOT be covered by the FRPP power train warranty.

4.) A majority of the codes being thrown by the Track Key are false positives that are a result of the way the tune was written and just this past week a revised tune has been released and available to dealers to install to eliminate the false check engine lights that several people experienced.

Hope this helps you with your decision.

ebrow21

Established Member
ebrow21, who did you order the procal from? Did you do it yourself or have a shop do that?

Buyfordracing dot com. $299 with K&N. I imagine Tasca will match or beat that. You can convince a tech to put it on at a dealership, they should charge less than an hour.

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member
As someone on the verge of purchasing the Track Key for my 2014, I have been following a few threads closely. Here are a few facts about it that might help make your decision:

1.) The Track Key is basically the same tune as the ProCal, with the addition of launch control, a pit lane speed control feature and enhanced engine braking.

2.) Ford recommends using an oil separator when running the Track Key to eliminate the pinging issue.

3.) The ProCal, Track Key and Track Cal all have a 3yr/36k power train warranty from FRPP. In order to get that warranty, your tune MUST be installed by a dealer. If you buy the ProCal/TrackCal and do it yourself or an independent shop, you will NOT be covered by the FRPP power train warranty.

4.) A majority of the codes being thrown by the Track Key are false positives that are a result of the way the tune was written and just this past week a revised tune has been released and available to dealers to install to eliminate the false check engine lights that several people experienced.

Hope this helps you with your decision.
I was waiting for an update on that issue. I must have missed it. Got a link?

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member
Also, for what it's worth, the warranty details pdf from Ford Racing says

"Installation of the select Ford Racing-warranted TracKey/Track Cal engine calibrations by an authorized
dealer will NOT void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Engine, driveline and suspension concerns not caused by Ford Racing Performance Parts remain eligible for warranty coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. "

I'd feel pretty safe with it. Especially running a catch can...

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
Also, for what it's worth, the warranty details pdf from Ford Racing says

"Installation of the select Ford Racing-warranted TracKey/Track Cal engine calibrations by an authorized
dealer will NOT void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Engine, driveline and suspension concerns not caused by Ford Racing Performance Parts remain eligible for warranty coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. "

I'd feel pretty safe with it. Especially running a catch can...

This applys to all mods on your car, not just the pro-cal. Do a great job interviewing your tech at the local shop. If he is not a go fast guy, try the next dealer. I found one happy to help, and said as long as I don't touch the engine he was cool with my car. Really, that opens things up a bit, allows a CAI, exhaust (he recommended exhaust right away) and safe tune. This tech asked that I leave the SCT tuner in the car for any appointments in case I had to go back to stock. He also said stay away from the fringe tuners, Hypertech, etc. Only SCT loaded tunes, he said they don't F-up the computer like many other tunes can.

DONT touch plugs, coils, intake.... and you should be fine. Oil separator a must if tuning to prevent cylinder 8 issues.

Users who are viewing this thread